Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren
(10-23-2012, 04:21 PM)Whitey Wrote:
(10-23-2012, 09:40 AM)TrentCath Wrote:
(10-23-2012, 08:06 AM)Whitey Wrote:
(10-23-2012, 07:30 AM)TrentCath Wrote:
(10-23-2012, 07:10 AM)Whitey Wrote:
(10-23-2012, 06:41 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: ...Further, yes, one should always assume the Pope's intentions are good. If there is real evidence to show otherwise, then that's another story, but the assumption should be that his intentions are good. That's how you're supposed to deal with everyone, not just His Holiness. But for some folks here, the assumption is just the opposite, and perfectly kosher text is twisted and jumped on. That's what's scandalous.

I agree. It's an acquired bad habit. Every homily or address the pope makes is subject to ridicule by some trads. And most always followed by back pats from the same. It's become so common here, that it fouls most every discussion.

If a person continously makes unorthodox statements, was an unorthodox theologian and openly promotes and allows unorthodoxy it would seem to me, to be unreasonable not to be very wary of that persons words and actions and subject them to intense scrutiny for ones own protection, if not that of others.

I agree we have a duty as Roman Catholics to defend the Faith, but the way some discredit the pope is rather excessive.

[b[I don't see anyone discrediting the pope[/b]  :shrug:

I guess ultimately the problem is that there are two groups here, or rather at last two groups:

i) Group A sees the pope as basically orthodox but he sometimes makes statements that are ambigous
ii)Group B sees the pope as basically unorthodox and thus all of what he says is likely suspect

See, now my post is taken out of context again. That's why I don't bother in these discussions other than a post or two.

Carry on though.

Sorry, who's taking what out of context?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - by TrentCath - 10-23-2012, 04:24 PM