Attachment and Religious Change
(10-05-2012, 01:14 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: Well sure, anything can be abused. Even water can be abused. I mean the human body can have too much water.

I confess I'm not  thrilled with distractions to prayer. Prayer is often hard enough.  But yes you're right if I have a sick child, that sort of thing, the sick child must come first. I also confess that I'm not always even thrilled to say my rosary, I get distracted and tired anyone, but nobody better try taking it from me. The Blessed Mother requested we say it, and I trust her and want to please her as best I can.

I don't disagree with any of this, and I really admire what you are writing.

I think where we are disagreeing maybe is in what we are trying to write about.

I'm a relatively recent convert, dealing with all sorts of vices and habitual sins, so I'm not speaking from experience here.  But what the great spiritual masters tell us, and what we logically deduce from our faith, is that as we progress spiritually, the closer we are to God, nothing should annoy us. Distractions while praying are just another opportunity for grace.  Everything is an opportunity for grace.

Even in hating sin, we should learn to automatically see that grace will abound the more. God is always God.

In that sense, at a higher spiritual level, as we try to be saints, it really should be our goal to be so deeply united to God that it does not matter if we can say our rosary or not or even get to a TLM or not. We could be in the midst of persecution, in jail for being Catholic, likely never to get the TLM again, and we should be in constant joy because we can still pray and think of God and no one can take that from us.

But I am very very far from that, and in our day to day life, shifting attachments from things like food and sleep to things like the Rosary and the Mass, like I am trying to do, is a step in the right direction!
(10-05-2012, 02:06 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: But I am very very far from that, and in our day to day life, shifting attachments from things like food and sleep to things like the Rosary and the Mass, like I am trying to do, is a step in the right direction!

Yes! Step one is doing this. The advice of the saints like John of the Cross are step two through million ...
I maintain that food and sleep are important for the soul. We can't all be like St. Francis. Look at St. Thomas Aquinas. He was so fat they had to cut a half-circle out from the table just so he could fit.  :LOL: Perhaps if he'd been a skinny saint the world would've been deprived of the Summa, because he'd have been fainting away from hunger.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(10-05-2012, 07:06 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: I maintain that food and sleep are important for the soul. We can't all be like St. Francis. Look at St. Thomas Aquinas. He was so fat they had to cut a half-circle out from the table just so he could fit.  :LOL: Perhaps if he'd been a skinny saint the world would've been deprived of the Summa, because he'd have been fainting away from hunger.

We need food and sleep, but i used their example because I am inordinately attached to them. Trust me on that one!
Yes, they are delightful.  :)
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
My wife has an "attachment" to cookies. Believe me, she'll cut your arm off if you try to part her from them. She's good during Lent, though. :LOL: