When Was the Last Time You Proselytized?

Seriously, when was the last time you approached someone and spread the Gospel? I don't mean, necessarily, in an "in-your-face," tract-handing-out way, but simply telling someone about the Good News that Jesus Christ rose from the dead, that God loves them, etc.?

I have a thing for religious tracts -- esp. in the Jack Chick style. I've been out on the web trying to find some to get sent to me and it struck me about how much time many Protestants devote to teaching others about Christ (even if they do get a lot wrong, God bless 'em). Why do so many of us Catholics allow Protestants to have the upper hand in that way? Why aren't we out in the cities spreading the Word? Or, at the very least, spreading the Gospel to those in our own sphere?

Why aren't there Catholic religious tracts? Should we maybe come up with some?

How does the situation in the human element of the Church affect all this sort of thing, in your opinions?

One thing about this that I am pretty much convinced of is that just getting folks to pray to know the Truth about Jesus Christ is the single best thing we can do. The intellectual stuff comes later, for the most part (for most people).
I TOTALLY agree with you Vox. I would love to see some Jack Chick style comic tracts of a Catholic nature. They get used in fact I was actually convicted of my sin as a heathen from Chick's most famous tract "This was your life" it scared the hell out of me!
Yesterday.

I lent a book to my voice teacher on a plausible pretext.  (It had to do with their dogs singing with me.  Long story.)  He and his wife seem to have been involved in Eastern religions and other esoterica, which is why I lent him this book, which builds a bridge from Eastern religions and the occult to Catholicism.  It is truly sublime, although it contains at least one serious error.  Still, the perfect can be the enemy of the good.

A Catholic "Jack Chick" tract would never work for people like this.

Send me a private message if you would like the title.

Vox,
this blog (http://lxoa.wordpress.com) has Catholic tracts, from ago, and across the pond. I like some of them, and agree wholeheartedly with you.
It is worth recalling that St. Francis de Sales used tracts to convert the Calvinists to Catholicism in Geneva, and also that this effort was combined with patience and great charity.
Impy, I have to hear about those singing dogs. Don't tease me that way!  

But whether you tell me about the canids or not, God bless you for spreading the word! I hope it bears fruit :)

Traditionalmom and Dahveed, I'm with me, too, on this LOL  Seriously, far too much time is spent on in-fighting rather than bringing people to Christ and simply living the Gospel message. I think I will write some tracts, by gosh! But, to Impy's relief, they won't be Jack Chick-style LOL  I admit, though, to having a "fondness" for Jack Chick's and other Protestant religious tracts -- by which I mean I collect them and find them interesting --- sometimes nice, sometimes completely awful and sooooo wrong, sometimes funny, sometimes groan-inducing. I most definitely admire the underlying motive, that stereotypical Baptist zeal in proselytizing. Would that Catholics had that much fire in the belly for it (without the fear-mongering, anti-Catholicism, cheesiness, etc.)

Seriously... we need tracts!
For the most part, mainstream Catholicism is too ecumenical for that. And traditional Catholicism is too busy and just scratching by rebuilding, maybe. Dahveed, I've seen some that before--from your link. Very kool.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(10-07-2012, 07:26 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: Impy, I have to hear about those singing dogs.

I'll tell the story later today, after I return from Mass.  I promise!
(10-06-2012, 11:49 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: Seriously, when was the last time you approached someone and spread the Gospel? I don't mean, necessarily, in an "in-your-face," tract-handing-out way, but simply telling someone about the Good News that Jesus Christ rose from the dead, that God loves them, etc.?
Spread the Gospel? A very long time. Some have tried to tear me away from the Church and the teachings of the Gospel.

More people try to spread atheistic and carnal ways with admirable fervor though.

Quote:I have a thing for religious tracts -- esp. in the Jack Chick style. I've been out on the web trying to find some to get sent to me and it struck me about how much time many Protestants devote to teaching others about Christ (even if they do get a lot wrong, God bless 'em). Why do so many of us Catholics allow Protestants to have the upper hand in that way? Why aren't we out in the cities spreading the Word? Or, at the very least, spreading the Gospel to those in our own sphere?
Many Catholics, including me, do not engage in such behaviour because it is disordered. It is politics, not edification. The Word is spread. The people responsible for spreading it are not the Corinthians, but the Apostles. When does the Apostle say "Go forth, and inform everyone of what I just taught you and about which I write"? No, he says to follow the teachings.

Quote:Why aren't there Catholic religious tracts? Should we maybe come up with some?
There are, but I think we rely on them less because they are not suitable for spreading the Truth.

Quote:One thing about this that I am pretty much convinced of is that just getting folks to pray to know the Truth about Jesus Christ is the single best thing we can do. The intellectual stuff comes later, for the most part (for most people).
I think, and have found, that living a chaste and moral life gets more attention than any speech and handing out leaflets will ever do. The past week, several people have expressed words on how they observe me, just from how I live.

I could hand out papers and badger people like some of the protestant types at work, but they just get reprimanded for harassing people and they think themselves holy for being "persecuted".
I think that tracts are most useful as a supplement to lives living out the Catholic faith.  Usually seeing a good example of Catholicism is what opens people to the truth.