When Was the Last Time You Proselytized?
I kinda like the quote attributed to St Francis.  "Preach the Gospel daily, use words if necessary." 
(10-07-2012, 12:16 PM)Joamy Wrote: I kinda like the quote attributed to St Francis.  "Preach the Gospel daily, use words if necessary." 

I think that the ability to use words well is rather rare.  I suspect that if Vox writes some tracts they will be well done, since this is clearly an area in which she is gifted.
Mr T makes Catholic comics. He posts them in the Arts section and has them for sale at his shop. Currently he is in the preliminary talks of being commisioned to do some more comics about specific saints by a company/ website that promotes catholic culture.
(10-07-2012, 02:59 PM)verenaerin Wrote: Mr T makes Catholic comics. He posts them in the Arts section and has them for sale at his shop. Currently he is in the preliminary talks of being commisioned to do some more comics about specific saints by a company/ website that promotes catholic culture.

I was thinking about him as I was reading the OP.
Today when I was walking out of church the Lord put someone right in my pathway. He was a poor man about 60, almost deaf and as a result he had a speech impediment. He told me he was dying of emphysema. He didn't ask for money, but he pointed at the Sunday bulletin I had in my hand. So I gave it to him. He said he "wasn't Catholic" but wanted to start coming to "that church" and pointed to St. William's. I shouted at the top of my lungs: "YOU KNOW THAT'S A CATHOLIC CHURCH." He nodded. I told him he was "MOST WELCOME" and then I showed him the Mass times on the front of the bulletin. We walked together about two blocks before we parted ways, and then he asked me to pray for him. I had to ask him three times: "WHAT'S YOUR NAME?" He said, "My mother named me after Jackie Gleason, but my friends just call me JACK." And then he took my hand, and squeezed it.

Please join me in praying for Jack .
(10-07-2012, 04:41 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Today when I was walking out of church the Lord put someone right in my pathway. He was a poor man about 60, almost deaf and as a result he had a speech impediment. He told me he was dying of emphysema. He didn't ask for money, but he pointed at the Sunday bulletin I had in my hand. So I gave it to him. He said he "wasn't Catholic" but wanted to start coming to "that church" and pointed to St. William's. I shouted at the top of my lungs: "YOU KNOW THAT'S A CATHOLIC CHURCH." He nodded. I told him he was "MOST WELCOME" and then I showed him the Mass times on the front of the bulletin. We walked together about two blocks before we parted ways, and then he asked me to pray for him. I had to ask him three times: "WHAT'S YOUR NAME?" He said, "My mother named me after Jackie Gleason, but my friends just call me JACK." And then he took my hand, and squeezed it.

Please join me in praying for Jack .
I will!

My daughter just had a similar story (okay, close enough). I noticed she had been wearing a certain bracelet lately with pictures of Mary, some saints, the Sacred Heart. It's very pretty. I asked her if anyone had ever asked her about it. She said, "Yeah, my bus driver noticed it. Then later she said she went to the church and she liked it. She wants to talk to Father now." How cool?
(10-07-2012, 04:52 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: My daughter just had a similar story (okay, close enough). I noticed she had been wearing a certain bracelet lately with pictures of Mary, some saints, the Sacred Heart. It's very pretty. I asked her if anyone had ever asked her about it. She said, "Yeah, my bus driver noticed it. Then later she said she went to the church and she liked it. She wants to talk to Father now." How cool?

Bracelets and bulletins. Very cool.  :)
I wish I were better at proselytizing to non-Catholics. I "proselytize" to Catholics pretty regularly, though.

Pugin's "Earnest Appeal", which I posted earlier this week, is a tract. http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...018.0.html

His architectural books are also more like apologetics for Gothic architecture, rather than just construction manuals.
(10-07-2012, 07:26 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: Impy, I have to hear about those singing dogs. Don't tease me that way!

Well, my voice teacher and his wife (who is also a voice teacher) have two cute little Schnauzers, Libby and Ziggy.  When I started lessons early in the summer, Richard told me that Ziggy might decide to sing.  (It's usually Ziggy who sings.  She's the friendlier of the two.)  I was a little skeptical. 

Well, several months into my lessons, as Richard started playing the scale on the piano that he wanted me to sing, Ziggy came running over, assumed her position (seated at my feet with her head up in the air) and started singing as I sang.  Of course, I burst out laughing.  Richard was saying something like, "That's very good, Ziggy."  She continued this for a minute or so, and then went over to sit on a chair.

A week or two after that, both dogs came running over as we started and both sang.

Ziggy sang with me yesterday, as well.  (My lesson is on Saturday morning.)

Of course, you understand that the singing is really a type of howling.  But they try.

Richard told me that they will only sing with people that they like.  I'm very flattered. 
I think it is important  to find out where a person is coming from.  If someone likes to read books but observe no religion I think GK Chesterton books are a great way to get the conversation started.  If they do not read but like movies then giving them a Catholic flick is a good way to move the relationship towards the discussion of religion.  With young men they tend to like war stories so It is good to talk about that.

The reason why I started doing http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com was partly as an Proselytization effort.  It is my hope that these short audio books will be a way to evangelize others with the inspiring and heroic stories of the Saints and their true example of Christianity.  That is why everything is made free with no copyright so people can make copies of CD’s or e-mailing other people the mp3s.  It kinda is bothersome that many of the Catholic CD stuff out there is all copyrighted.  People tend to like the lives of the Saints, I had a Mormon co worker who would listen on what saint I was reading about and their antics at lunch at work.