Instant mashed potatoes
As to Mr. Potato Head;

Why did he store all his paraphernalia up his bum?  ???
(10-09-2012, 09:00 PM)Lateran15 Wrote: As to Mr. Potato Head;

Why did he store all his paraphernalia up his bum?  ???

And did you notice that the potatoes look like black people?

Tsk tsk.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(10-09-2012, 08:41 PM)Lateran15 Wrote: Instant for me:

1) shelf stable
2) cheap
3) basic ingredient for breading, soups, and at least once for dry wall repair  ???
4) very penitential
5)  can be prepared fast
6) almost self replicating.

Potatoes for me:

0. The way God intended it.
(10-09-2012, 09:04 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(10-09-2012, 08:41 PM)Lateran15 Wrote: Instant for me:

1) shelf stable
2) cheap
3) basic ingredient for breading, soups, and at least once for dry wall repair  ???
4) very penitential
5)  can be prepared fast
6) almost self replicating.

Potatoes for me:

0. The way God intended it.

That is almost a hymn! (Quick call Marty Haggen)  :LOL:
I ate some more potatoes. I ate them with sauerkraut.

I do not really "mash" potatoes like most. Perhaps that is the appeal of instant mixes...one gets baby food more easily. I eat potatoes like a man.
(10-09-2012, 09:57 PM)Rosarium Wrote: I eat potatoes like a man.

Ok.  I'll bite.  What does it mean to "eat potatoes like a man"???  Mashed potatoes can be chunky you know.  Is this mashed potato unmanly too?  :)
"For Mash, get Smash"

[Image: smash3.jpg]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smash_(inst...ed_potato)
(10-10-2012, 05:43 AM)Fontevrault Wrote:
(10-09-2012, 09:57 PM)Rosarium Wrote: I eat potatoes like a man.

Ok.  I'll bite.  What does it mean to "eat potatoes like a man"???  Mashed potatoes can be chunky you know.  Is this mashed potato unmanly too?   :)

The entire post was together, and it was referring to instant mashed potatoes being always uniformly creamy/smooth (whatever the term is) and to get potatoes to that state takes more effort, so perhaps instant mashed potatoes offer an advantage for those who want to eat potatoes like that.

Eating potatoes like a man means not to care so much about such vanities.
(10-09-2012, 07:32 PM)piabee Wrote: Has anyone ever actually used a real potato to make a Mr. Potato Head?

When I grew up, it didn't come with the plastic potato.  We used real ones.  :) :) :)  We need a potato head emoticon.
You might like this Rosy. It was a family favorite when I was growing up. It's potatoes, green beans, pasta, and pesto sauce. It doesn't contain meat.

It's called trofie al pesto, and it comes from cinque terra in Liguria.

Ingredients

Pesto

2 tightly packed cups stemless fresh basil leaves

2 Tbsp. pine nuts

3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped

Coarse salt kosher or mediterranean to suit

½ cup mild extra-virgin olive oil

½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Peccorino Romano

Trofie

3 cups flour, plus extra to work with

1 tsp. salt

1¼ cups water

Vegetables

½ lb. haricots verts or small string beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces

5 new potatoes, peeled

Steps

1.Make the pesto: Crush the basil, pine nuts, garlic, and a large pinch of salt into a fine paste with a mortar and pestle. Drizzle in the oil, stirring constantly, then stir in the cheese. Put plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pesto, then set aside.

2.(If using a food processor, blend the pine nuts, garlic, and salt into a paste. Add the basil, drizzle in the oil, and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the cheese. Put plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pesto, then set aside.)

3.Make the trofie: Sift the flour and salt together into a mound on a clean surface. Use your hand to make a well in the center, then pour in about 1¼ cups water. Flour your hands, then knead the flour and water together with both hands until the dough is soft and no longer sticky. Push the dough to one side, clean the surface and your hands, then flour both again and knead dough again, adding more flour if necessary, until it is very smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes. Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and set aside for half an hour.

4.Clean and flour hands and surface again. Pinch off a pea-size piece of dough and roll it away from you with the palm of your hand to form a fat matchstick. Turn your hand up at a 45-degree angle, then gently roll the matchstick back toward you to form a spiral shape with two pointed ends. Repeat to use all the dough. (This may take practice; expect to throw away some ill-formed trofie at first.) As trofie are made, transfer them to a lightly floured, parchment-lined baking sheet.

5.Cook the vegetables: Cook the beans in a pot of boiling salted water over high heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove the beans with a slotted spoon, then add the potatoes to the same water and boil until soft, about 15 minutes. Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon, allow to cool, and then slice thinly.

6.Cook the pasta: Cook the trofie in the same water over high heat until they float to the surface, about 4 minutes. Dilute pesto with 2 Tbsp. pasta water, then drain the pasta, transfer it to a large bowl, and mix with the pesto, potatoes, and beans.

This is very tasty and if you make extra can be reheated.

tim