Mommas cooking chicken fried in bacon grease...
My grandmother made fried chicken in a cast iron skillet using bacon grease, butter, and lard.  It was put in buttermilk the night before then dredged in a flour, pepper, onion powder, garlic salt, paprika, and a tbls of baking powder mixture.  Dip it in buttermilk again, re-dredge, and fry until golden brown.  She didn't like it real crispy so she would leave her piece in for a little while longer with a lid on it and it would soften up.  Then she would fry potatoes in the leftover grease.  Man I miss the South!  Thanks for bringing up the memories.  :chicken: :eats:

Almost forgot, the bacon grease came from making fried bacon for the fresh green beans.  Heaven!
(10-24-2012, 09:50 PM)dymphna17 Wrote: My grandmother made fried chicken in a cast iron skillet using bacon grease, butter, and lard.  It was put in buttermilk the night before then dredged in a flour, pepper, onion powder, garlic salt, paprika, and a tbls of baking powder mixture.  Dip it in buttermilk again, re-dredge, and fry until golden brown.  She didn't like it real crispy so she would leave her piece in for a little while longer with a lid on it and it would soften up.  Then she would fry potatoes in the leftover grease.  Man I miss the South!  Thanks for bringing up the memories.   :chicken: :eats:

Almost forgot, the bacon grease came from making fried bacon for the fresh green beans.  Heaven!
What do I have to do to get an invitation to eat at your house?
Another southern dish I love is fried catfish. Then greasy greens, that's a green with bacon pieces and the grease from frying. I also discovered they do a dish with potatoes and green beans smashed together  kind of like the Genovese do.

tim
(10-25-2012, 10:05 AM)Tim Wrote: Then greasy greens, that's a green with bacon pieces and the grease from frying.

tim

Well, I married a southern girl and she's showed me how they cook and living here in Florida, there's plenty of family around with their recipes too. I can remember my dear, departed wife, sitting with a bushel of Black Eyed Peas, snapping them for the freezer...and then of course, we just 'had' to have some for supper with bacon and grease...Oh man! Some corn bread and on New Years ya add rice to make Hoppin' John!

Dern it! Now I'm gettin' hungry!!

As for the greens, fresh, right out of the garden, for me...collards, mustard or turnip greens, they're all good. But don't forget the pot liquor after the meal!! Good stuff!!

:w2go:
Z, simple pleasures are the best !  I'm not against fancy stuff, but the regular stuff just says home.

tim
(10-25-2012, 12:26 AM)Poche Wrote:
(10-24-2012, 09:50 PM)dymphna17 Wrote: My grandmother made fried chicken in a cast iron skillet using bacon grease, butter, and lard.  It was put in buttermilk the night before then dredged in a flour, pepper, onion powder, garlic salt, paprika, and a tbls of baking powder mixture.  Dip it in buttermilk again, re-dredge, and fry until golden brown.  She didn't like it real crispy so she would leave her piece in for a little while longer with a lid on it and it would soften up.  Then she would fry potatoes in the leftover grease.  Man I miss the South!  Thanks for bringing up the memories.   :chicken: :eats:

What do I have to do to get an invitation to eat at your house?

I'd say come on over, but sadly I do not have a cast iron skillet.  :(
(10-25-2012, 10:05 AM)Tim Wrote: Another southern dish I love is fried catfish. Then greasy greens, that's a green with bacon pieces and the grease from frying. I also discovered they do a dish with potatoes and green beans smashed together  kind of like the Genovese do.

tim

Green Beans and New Potatoes!
LOVE LOVE LOVE!!

If you want the recipe, I might oblige  :P
I just go to KFC or Nandos if I am feeling healthy (and flush)

I tried frying chicken here recently and it was very good.  I bought some A grade breast portions from Smithfield meat market, sliced them in half longways, because they were very large, dipped them in milk, then flour with a lot of spices mixed in, then dropped them into a deep fat fryer.

When they look like KFC removed, stand them for 60 seconds to cool and drain.

Deep fat fryer is the only way to get that crispy coating.  But they are a bugger to clean up afterwards.  I only get it out when we have guests.  I only use the fryer OUTSIDE of our house as otherwise your walls get a coating of grease.

If I ever meet someone who works at KFC I will ask them to pinch me a bag of the Colonel's Secret Recipe.  On a really good piece of chicken meat that would be nectar.  The only problem with KFC is the chicken is cheap.

I used to luv KFC at the beginning, but then they stopped deep frying it and pressure cooked it leaving the chicken fat sort of blubbery. In my first flat, about 250 feet down the street was a KFC, and I believe a four piece dinner was 2.95 so a young guy in his first flat with not much ate well several nights a week.

I agree about the deep fryer. That's why, I've come to boneing the breasts and slicing them the long way, and bread them, first in an egg wash, then with bread crumbs, parsley, and Parmiggiano chesse grated. I fry them in about a quarter inch of oil with a little butter for flavor. It's easier to clean. The best is if you soak dried porcini in a bowl of water for about twent minutes, drain them and save the water. After cleaning the pan add some oil and butter and saute the porcini, add a little flour and cook it into the mix, then pour over most of the water from the porcini, watch for the possible dirt. Cook until smooth, add several tabs of cold butter, turn off the heat, and mix the butter in, and pour over the chicken. I asume you salt and pepper to taste as you go along. 

Polenta split with a string and Gruyere and some more Parmiggiano is excellent with these, and escarole or spinaci also is tops.

tim