The ghetto clearings
Exactly Doc, but they were using the ethnicity of these folks to kill the Church's influence on them. That was the real reason behind it all.

tim
I always thought of the Church as the perfect multicultural institution.  She is for all nations, and none is greater or lesser in dignity (no matter what the Italians say!).  Maybe I'm showing how spoiled I am at my SSPX church where it really is multicultural.  Trads can't afford to have ethnic parishes, can they?  Deo gratias, I say. 
Even back then in Europe the Church was the same but different in Poland or Sicily. One didn't find a parish with Irish, Italians, and Spanish.There is the multi-culturalism of neccesity at your chapel, and the multi-culturalism fosterd by the Bishops. It'd all be fine if tomorrow we woke up and uhere was a Canadian nationality and down here an American nationality, but that ain't happening.

tim
Another reason there's multiculturalism at my parish is because we all speak the official language of the country, and that language is used in confession and in the sermon.  I don't know why a person who's lived in a foreign country for longer than 10 years can't or won't learn the language.  It's understandable to me why they'd be considered suspicious.  They seem to have no loyalty to their new country.  Just after a world war I can hardly blame a protestant country for attempting to socially engineer a peaceful environment for itself.  What else could anyone reasonably expect from prots, or atheists?  Is it asking too much that immigrants learn one of the official languages of a country they immigrate to?  I don't see how it is.  People of different ethnic backgrounds don't seem like strangers as long as you have a common language.

I hope to learn about this issue from the perspective of a black person coming from the South at that time.  I have a feeling that they were used as pawns, and didn't start off as criminals, but resorted to it in self-defense, just as the Irish and the Italian criminals seem to have when they immigrated, and found themselves to be treated like subhumans.

Anyway, Jones seems to blame the social engineers and doesn't seem to acknowledge any responsibility on the part of the Catholics in the riots, unless I've missed something.  That's disappointing.
Per, you're missing quite a bit. Those riots in Detroit or here in Marquette Park were one offs, and the blacks subsequently set the cities on fire for no good reasons in the 60's.. Yes they were pawns of those wicked social engineers in their ethnic cleansing. Canada is multi-cultural since the beginning, the US was not. Multi-culturalism is false because not all cultures are equal. The moral of a Hindu and a Catholic are not the same and that leaves morality up to the Liberal Government and persecution.

tim