Vatican II opened the Church to the World
(10-16-2012, 11:55 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote:
(10-15-2012, 01:03 AM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: I'm not really discussing schism here.

With regards to my "Catholic or not" statement, isn't that true? Sure, there can be leeway on certain issues, but when it comes down to it, one is either Catholic, or not, right?

By the way, do you believe it is possible for one to be a schismatic in our day without also holding any heretical beliefs? If so, how?

1. Not submitting to a Roman Pontiff 2. Refusing communion with other Catholics.
(10-17-2012, 12:57 AM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote:
(10-16-2012, 11:55 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote:
(10-15-2012, 01:03 AM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: I'm not really discussing schism here.

With regards to my "Catholic or not" statement, isn't that true? Sure, there can be leeway on certain issues, but when it comes down to it, one is either Catholic, or not, right?

By the way, do you believe it is possible for one to be a schismatic in our day without also holding any heretical beliefs? If so, how?

1. Not submitting to a Roman Pontiff 2. Refusing communion with other Catholics.

But according to you there is no Roman Pontiff, which leaves refusing communion with other Catholics. Leaving aside the difficulties in defining who is Catholic in this scenario, wouldn't that mean that nearly all Catholics are in schism? For instance, a trad who refuses communion with sedevacantists would be a schismatic, no? The inevitable conclusion would seem to be that only sedevacantists and perhaps a few hardline SSPXers who wouldn't refuse communion with sedevacantists are actually Catholic, but I suppose we also have to deal with the conflicts between the CMRI and Fr. Cekada and so forth. Perhaps in the end only a fraction of sedevacantists can actually be said to be Catholic.
Yes, your initial claim is correct. I cannot make a post on this right now, but I can tell you that these very were discussed on strobertbellarmine.net

I hope to give you an appropriate response in due time.