Occupy London, St Paul's protest
http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe/...story.html

[Image: 2e286_111027043334-st-paul-s-cathedral-s...ry-top.jpg]
Above image from previous protests outside the Anglican cathedral.

"The anti-corporate Occupy movement says several of its supporters have chained themselves to the pulpit of St. Paul’s Cathedral during a service.

The action came as the group marks the anniversary of its now-dismantled protest camp outside the cathedral.

Photos posted by the group on the Internet showed four women around the pulpit with a sign urging ‘‘throw the money changers out of the temple.’’"

The BBC reported that the Cathedral authorities "know the protesters are there" and have no plans to remove them.
I visited Saint Paul's Cathedral last December, primarily to see the tombs of Wellington and Nelson. I didn't know about the Occupy London movement until I got there. Had to wade through a bunch of tents to get to the front door.
(10-14-2012, 03:12 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: I visited Saint Paul's Cathedral last December, primarily to see the tombs of Wellington and Nelson. I didn't know about the Occupy London movement until I got there. Had to wade through a bunch of tents to get to the front door.
Were you able to visit the tombs?
What was your impression of the "occupiers?"
(10-15-2012, 03:58 AM)Poche Wrote: Were you able to visit the tombs?
What was your impression of the "occupiers?"

Yeah, I did. My overall impression of Saint Paul's is that it serves much better as a secular mausoleum for Napoleonic war heroes (there are just tons of generals' tombs all over the place) than as a house of prayer. The point is moot for us since the building is Anglican and was built post-Reformation.... but it's a cold place, like a big bank.

As for the Occupiers, they didn't bother me, save for one guy who kept talking to me while I was checking out Nelson's tomb. It was annoying.
(10-15-2012, 04:02 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: (T)he building is Anglican and was built post-Reformation....

But the land is ours! It's built on the site of Old St Paul's which burnt in the Great Fire.

[Image: 2m3qt6p.jpg]
(10-15-2012, 04:09 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: But the land is ours!

True, but so is the whole country. We've really just been experiencing technical difficulties ever since the Spanish Armada.

An amusing observation by Augustus Pugin at the end of "Contrasts":

Quote:"Let any candid person survey the monuments erected, during the last and present century, in those great edifices, St. Paul's and Westminster Abbey, and then pronounce, whether there is one sign of symbol by which he could have supposed that the persons, to whom they are erected, professed the Christian faith. Mars, Mercury, Neptune, Minerva, Apollo, and a host of heathen divinities, are sculptured either receiving the soul of the departed, or assisting him in the achievement of his exploits; and, when he regards the costume of the deceased, he is equally at a loss to distinguish the rank, profession, or the age in which he lived. Statesmen, warriors, and even ecclesiastics, have been alike enveloped in the Roman toga; and thus made to appear, both by costume and attributes, pagans of two thousand years ago."
I think they'll just wait for them to go away. There are probably more young people sitting outside with signs than inside praying on any given Sunday. They need to appear sympathetic to these movements to stave off extinction.