Bishop's Letter regarding SSPX in Calgary, Canada
How would a pope lift an excommunication on a non-Catholic ? Is it even possible ?

If this bishop wants to point out what was in the document fine, but he should not make crap up about fellow bishops.
(10-15-2012, 12:32 AM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote:
(10-15-2012, 12:14 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: His Lordship, Bishop Henry is probably the most Trad friendly bishop in Canada. Calgary has an active FSSP Apostolate under his aegis which also supplies the Archdiocese of Edmonton whose Ordinary is not nearly as 'friendly'.

Yes, and this confounds the problem. He is supposedly trad friendly and pro TLM, yet he says the SSPX chapel is not Catholic, and neither are those who attend it. As such, he is equating the SSPX and SSPXers with, say, Old Catholics.

And here we see the inherent conflict between the Society and the FSSP/ICK.

This type of thing is why I pray for a resolution to the irregular situation of the SSPX.
:pray: :pray: :pray:
CC and others, you see with this example how problematic the canonical position of the SSPX in the Church is. Despite all attempts to interprete it like emergency and whatever, as long as there is no agreement with Rome and SSPX and so no personal prelature or whatever construction, there will be every time this kind of letters.

The question whether the liturgy celebrated is 'catholic' is of course absurd. It is. But... what people cannot understand, is that even a liturgy 'so really catholic' is still not catholic in canonical sense. A marriage, in all aspects catholic, but not valid if that one canonical rule about jurisdiction (the signature of the local parish priest) is not fullfilled.

That is the only reason why even TLM-friendly bishops NEED to write such letters. They are not against the TLM. Not against SSPX people as such. Maybe if the SSPX would have a canonical status, the bishop would even want to celebrate a TLM there. If I would be the bishop there, I would do so the sunday after there would be an agreement and a status. I think deep inside all traditional minded catholics want such a unity.

On the other hand, I see the positions getting more hard every week. What I read here sometimes, makes me less hopeful for unity. The blaming-each-other-show has already started, which makes it even more difficult. Where will this end?

Let's keep hope, pray and work for not seperating Rome and the SSPX more.
If Bishop Henry says the SSPX is not Catholic, what denomination does he think they are?

My own take on this matter of the "emergency" situation is, if there is no regular, "regularized"  Holy Day TLM within reasonable traveling distance [20-50 miles one way?} then the Society fills a need.

If one can get to a regularised, canonically in good standing TLM on all days of obligation, why would one have to go to an canonically irregular Mass?
If they say they are not catholic, then why are they in an emergency situation? Its like saying someone is not a doctor, unless of course you are in an emergency! You either are catholic or not. Very simple. The SSPX is very catholic, just compare a mass said at at your local NO ( I use mass loosely here) or at a SSPX church. Like I said its that simple.
(10-15-2012, 11:25 AM)cousinavi Wrote: If they say they are not catholic, then why are they in an emergency situation? Its like saying someone is not a doctor, unless of course you are in an emergency! You either are catholic or not. Very simple. The SSPX is very catholic, just compare a mass said at at your local NO ( I use mass loosely here) or at a SSPX church. Like I said its that simple.
There is no "emergency" situation. This is all nonsense.
I think this thread should be moved to the diocesan sspx discussion subforum.

(10-15-2012, 11:51 AM)Cooler King Wrote:
(10-15-2012, 11:25 AM)cousinavi Wrote: If they say they are not catholic, then why are they in an emergency situation? Its like saying someone is not a doctor, unless of course you are in an emergency! You either are catholic or not. Very simple. The SSPX is very catholic, just compare a mass said at at your local NO ( I use mass loosely here) or at a SSPX church. Like I said its that simple.
There is no "emergency" situation. This is all nonsense.
I think this thread should be moved to the diocesan sspx discussion subforum.

When "Lord I lift your name on high" replaces "Tantum Ergo," there is a problem.

When a good willed non-Catholic cannot go to his nearby parish for instruction for conversion, there is a problem.

When nearly every priest, including the bishops and highest authorities promote ecumenism, religious liberty, and collegiality, ther is a problem.
(10-15-2012, 12:13 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: When "Lord I lift your name on high" replaces "Tantum Ergo," there is a problem.
Yeah.....

(10-15-2012, 12:13 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: When a good willed non-Catholic cannot go to his nearby parish for instruction for conversion, there is a problem.

Says who? The SSPX? Of course. They do not want Catholics  attending their own parishes for instruction and conversion.
Fact of the matter is CP, that the majority of converts (even on FE) went through some form of RCIA in their local parish.
Eventually, they sought out the TLM. Not the other way around. Never forget that.
Because the SSPx and other cultists want you to forget that.

(10-15-2012, 12:13 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: When nearly every priest, including the bishops and highest authorities promote ecumenism, religious liberty, and collegiality, ther is a problem.

There are half-truths in this statement. But it's not the truth.  You are generalizing and using an axe where a scalpel is appropriate.
It is nowhere "nearly every priest & highest authorities". This sounds like an SV talk about the magisterium.
Be careful there.
Do I have to go to a diocesan-approved TLM when the Bishop comes and gives a sermon with questionable doctrine, or at least so full of holes one could drive a semi through it (this is not hypothetical, it happened yesterday)? Or I am I still not Catholic if I go to the SSPX Chapel in such cases?