Full Prostration during mass?
Sacred planking?
(10-15-2012, 06:44 PM)MorganHiver Wrote: Sacred planking?

we need a meme. Mith?
(10-15-2012, 06:30 PM)Steven Wrote: As for the original topic: at EWTN's televised daily Mass they used to have two (Franciscan) friars prostrate themselves during the Canon, but recently they have ceased doing so -- not sure why.  But, it isn't only a Dominican practice.

Interesting. I found an article about the Dominican rite discussing what is called "Prostration on the forms," which was done during parts of the canon until 1963, when it was replaced with simple kneeling. Here is a pic of it

[Image: Mass12b++prostration.jpg]

As far as sacred planking goes, I have seen people prostrate themselves at an NO parish when the blessed sacrament was exposed for adoration, so I suppose it has a few practitioners. The prostration during mass reminds of of something my grandfather told me about going to mass when he was a kid. He told me that his mother and many of the more devout members of the parish would approach the altar rail at communion time crawling on their knees. What  a great act of devotion.
For what it's worth...

Many years ago I knew an aged Dominican priest (barely able to walk) who prostrated himself before the Blessed Sacrament. Edifying.
This might be a solution to the lack of altar rails in churches when the Church recovers the faith.
(10-15-2012, 08:06 PM)DoktorDespot Wrote: As far as sacred planking goes, I have seen people prostrate themselves at an NO parish when the blessed sacrament was exposed for adoration, so I suppose it has a few practitioners. The prostration during mass reminds of of something my grandfather told me about going to mass when he was a kid. He told me that his mother and many of the more devout members of the parish would approach the altar rail at communion time crawling on their knees. What  a great act of devotion.

During Adoration, I have seen people in an NO parish drop to their knees on entering the chapel, crawl to where they want to kneel or sit and prostrate themselves before entering the pew.
(10-15-2012, 06:02 PM)verenaerin Wrote: Full prostration is pretty cool. I have to say though, that I am glad that it is not required of the lay person. I can think of more then one occasion where I could see myself falling asleep. I don't think that would go over well. :O

:LOL:

I don't think that would happen. Possible I suppose, but.... naw.
Great thread  :)

I never thought I'd see this so soon.........

http://www.op-stjoseph.org/preaching/dom...rite/home/

I've often prayed after the weekday noon Mass at this local Dominican praish that I see the day the dominican Rite returns to the intact high altar.

[Image: page13_1.jpg]

(10-15-2012, 01:49 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: The priest also extends his arms outward after the consecration in Sarum.
You mean cruciform at the Unde et memores? The Dominican rite does that, too.
(10-16-2012, 01:31 AM)Geremia Wrote:
(10-15-2012, 01:49 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: The priest also extends his arms outward after the consecration in Sarum.
You mean cruciform at the Unde et memores? The Dominican rite does that, too.

Where did this tradition stem from? Premonstratensians (they still do it today) from where Dominicans branched from or the Sarum Rite?