Bp Williamson Expelled
(10-18-2012, 02:59 AM)Parmandur Wrote:
(10-18-2012, 02:41 AM)Geremia Wrote: Is it true that only the Pope can technically expel bishops?

Also, here's the cached reference that was dead in my above source link. It's a pretty good Ignis Ardens forum thread.

+Williamson has no See to be expelled from, as he has no Episcopal position, just the Order.  His only standing is as a priest of the Society, a position completely under the purview of the Superior-General.

This is something which concerns me. If he is expelled, what canonical recourse does he have (can he take it to the Curia?) and what provision will there be for his room, board, and personal funding?
I don't think this is the end. They'll have talks to reconcile. And there will be demands placed on Bishop Fellay which will cause them to be back at square one. And it will drag on for years. Bishop Williamson will complain about the "Holy Father's" errors, how his mind is "sick", and the errors of the recent Chapter. How it was highjacked, and the liberals got the way. How the SSPX changed and has a new orientation. He'll probably ordained a bishop or two as an emergency measure. Williamson will demand five or six points, which Fellay's men will reject. We've seen this story before, right? Deja vu, anyone?

{satire intended]
(10-18-2012, 03:04 AM)Adeodatus01 Wrote:
(10-18-2012, 02:41 AM)Geremia Wrote: Is it true that only the Pope can technically expel bishops?

Also, here's the cached reference that was dead in my above source link. It's a pretty good Ignis Ardens forum thread.

+Williamson has no See to be expelled from, as he has no Episcopal position, just the Order.  His only standing is as a priest of the Society, a position completely under the purview of the Superior-General.

This is something which concerns me. If he is expelled, what canonical recourse does he have (can he take it to the Curia?) and what provision will there be for his room, board, and personal funding?

Priests expelled by the SSPX are left to fend for themselves, irrespective of how many years service they have given this Society. They will be at the charity of family, friends or faithful.
(10-18-2012, 03:04 AM)Adeodatus01 Wrote:

The Curia is not in any position to help any priests of the Society, it's the whole irregular thing.  I'm sure somebody will step up to care for him in the event.
I think that's why they often form new groups.
As much as I think he's a nut, and as much as it may be his own fault, it would be lame for a Bishop to be essentially homeless. That's an unworthy state for anyone, but especially for someone of that rank.
(10-18-2012, 04:04 PM)Adeodatus01 Wrote: As much as I think he's a nut, and as much as it may be his own fault, it would be lame for a Bishop to be essentially homeless. That's an unworthy state for anyone, but especially for someone of that rank.

Well, the Society has done it to many priests in the past. 
(10-18-2012, 04:16 PM)Parmandur Wrote: Well, the Society has done it to many priests in the past.
But to a bishop?
(10-18-2012, 04:37 PM)Geremia Wrote:
(10-18-2012, 04:16 PM)Parmandur Wrote: Well, the Society has done it to many priests in the past.
But to a bishop?

In terms of status within the Society, there is no difference.  He has no ordinary power, no see, no canonical status to fall back upon.  There is no court of appeal, as the Society is in limbo with the Curia, and the Curia literally can't tell them what to do.  From all appearances, +Fellay is doing this in union with the General Assembly earlier this year which excluded +Williamson.  He has nowhere to go within the Society, and those outside of the Society have no power over it.
(10-18-2012, 04:04 PM)Adeodatus01 Wrote: As much as I think he's a nut, and as much as it may be his own fault, it would be lame for a Bishop to be essentially homeless. That's an unworthy state for anyone, but especially for someone of that rank.
Jesus said to the first bishops:
Matt. 10:14-15 Wrote:14. And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words: going forth out of that house or city shake off the dust from your feet.
15. Amen I say to you, it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.
And it's not even strangers in a foreign land that treat Bp. Williamson like dirt; it's his fellow bishops!

Κύριε ἐλέησον.