John Paul I was definitely not murdered
The main reason to canonize JPI was that he was martyred (assassinated).
Since the Vatican just said, but not demonstrated, that he was not murdered, then there is no reason to canonize him.
(10-17-2012, 05:39 PM)maso Wrote: The main reason to canonize JPI was that he was martyred (assassinated).
Since the Vatican just said, but not demonstrated, that he was not murdered, then there is no reason to canonize him.

He was a Pope after Vatican II though, that's a canonization ipso facto.
(10-17-2012, 06:02 PM)TS Aquinas Wrote: He was a Pope after Vatican II though, that's a canonization ipso facto.

So then you think the efforts collecting documents and interviews is just window dressing? If he was Pope for 33 days of his life, it stands to reason that the previous 66 years of his life would be a factor.
(10-17-2012, 06:02 PM)TS Aquinas Wrote:
(10-17-2012, 05:39 PM)maso Wrote: The main reason to canonize JPI was that he was martyred (assassinated).

He was a Pope after Vatican II though, that's a canonization ipso facto.

Thank you for pointing out this fact, Saint Thomas.  I was getting worried these people wouldn't be reminded of the truth.

Next thing you know they'll be suggesting that being Pope prior to Vatican II made you anything but chopped liver or that you have to believe "dogma" to be a "real" Catholic.

/Mumbai impression
JP I was murdered because he was going to give the ok to the Pill.  It's all laid out in the lowly-acclaimed and barely read In God's Name by David Yallop. 

Stick that in your tin foil hat and smoke it. 
And this begs the question.  Why do those in official positions even bother saying, "There was no conspiracy?"  I mean, what do they think is going to happen?  All the conspiracy theorists are going to hear that and say, "Well, an official spokesman just said there's no conspiracy.  So there must not be.  Time to move on with my life."  Eye-roll ROFL
(10-17-2012, 08:56 PM)DrBombay Wrote: And this begs the question.  Why do those in official positions even bother saying, "There was no conspiracy?"  I mean, what do they think is going to happen?  All the conspiracy theorists are going to hear that and say, "Well, an official spokesman just said there's no conspiracy.  So there must not be.  Time to move on with my life."   Eye-roll ROFL

It's true; I am not much for conspiracies, but just looking at the headline raised the thought in my mind that maybe JP1 was murdered.  Shocked
He was "DEFINITELY" not murdered. Why such strong language? Overcompensating?
Wasn't JP1 the one who was going to clean house and boot the masons out of the curia ?
(10-17-2012, 06:21 PM)Scriptorium Wrote:
(10-17-2012, 06:02 PM)TS Aquinas Wrote: He was a Pope after Vatican II though, that's a canonization ipso facto.

So then you think the efforts collecting documents and interviews is just window dressing? If he was Pope for 33 days of his life, it stands to reason that the previous 66 years of his life would be a factor.

He's only being considered beautification because he was a Pontiff of the immediate post Vatican II era, I thought that would be clear as day to you.