Pope Pius XII on voting
[Image: 36317_10151230825121760_350049823_n.jpg]
You never give up do you? :LOL: I totally agree with the Holy Father of pious memory. The problem is that if you think that voting for the pro-abort pagan, Romney, is 'to work effectively for the true good of the people, as loyal defenders of the cause of God and of the Church', I've got some land in Nunavut I'd like to sell you as a winter vacation home.
Pope Pius XII's statement is explained here:  http://sspx.org/miscellaneous/catholic_p...voting.htm

He assumes that a Catholic candidate who will further Catholic social doctrine is in the running.  His statement does not apply where two liberal (in the classical sense) candidates are running, both of whom support abortion rights to a greater or lesser extent.

As the above article explains, it is permissible to vote for the lesser evil, but it is in no way obligatory.  The better choice is not to vote when confronted with the poor choices we will have on November 6th.

We are Catholics.  Fox News (or News Max, or what have you) is not our religion.  At least it's not mine.
(10-16-2012, 05:21 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: Pope Pius XII's statement is explained here:  http://sspx.org/miscellaneous/catholic_p...voting.htm

He assumes that a Catholic candidate who will further Catholic social doctrine is in the running.  His statement does not apply where two liberal (in the classical sense) candidates are running, both of whom support abortion rights to a greater or lesser extent.

As the above article explains, it is permissible to vote for the lesser evil, but it is in no way obligatory.  The better choice is not to vote when confronted with the poor choices we will have on November 6th.

We are Catholics.  Fox News (or News Max, or what have you) is not our religion.  At least it's not mine.

:clap: :tiphat: :salute: :w2go: :clap:
Pius XII and Lindsey Lohan want YOU to vote Mitt Romney!
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
I can only repeat my post (wherein I expressed confusion) from this thread:

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...sg33812693

Voting for Governor Romney, who is a less unworthy candidate than President Obama, doesn't sit well with me, nor does voting for someone who has next to 0% chance of winning the election.  I may as well stay home and pray the Holy Rosary (I'd accomplish much more by doing that).
I could be wrong, but it seems that the "lesser of two evils" argument can meet up against evils bad enough to contradict with the Catholic moral teaching that evil means cannot be used to reach a good end.

Sure, we'd all love for Obama to be a one-term president, but is voting for someone who supports grave evil an acceptable means to accomplish this?

I think the "lesser of two evils" is easy to dispel with a little reductio ad absurdum.  What if we had one candidate was a Satanist and sacrificed 4 people per day to Moloch and another candidate was a Satanist who sacrificed 3 people per day to Moloch?  Would Catholics still be out there rallying for the latter candidate.  If one can and should vote for someone who supports grave evil just to counteract another candidate who supports greater evil (basically, if one can vote for Romney over Obama) then shouldn't Catholics be out there, giving money, showing full support for the Satanist who only offers 3 sacrifices to Moloch?
(10-16-2012, 06:07 PM)Walty Wrote: I think the "lesser of two evils" is easy to dispel with a little reductio ad absurdum.  What if we had one candidate was a Satanist and sacrificed 4 people per day to Moloch and another candidate was a Satanist who sacrificed 3 people per day to Moloch?  Would Catholics still be out there rallying for the latter candidate.

As long as the three people being sacrificed are adults.
(10-16-2012, 06:12 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote:
(10-16-2012, 06:07 PM)Walty Wrote: I think the "lesser of two evils" is easy to dispel with a little reductio ad absurdum.  What if we had one candidate was a Satanist and sacrificed 4 people per day to Moloch and another candidate was a Satanist who sacrificed 3 people per day to Moloch?  Would Catholics still be out there rallying for the latter candidate.

As long as the three people being sacrificed are adults.

Enough.

Everyone here agrees with you that deaths in war are terrible and that unjust wars should be fought tooth and nail, just like abortion.  We agreed with you about that in the other thread and we agree with you about it here.

Your inability to keep from taking potshots at those concerned with abortion is disgusting and the strawman that they don't care about innocents being killed in war is a serious issue which you need to bring to an end.
I'm not sure that a couple of posts on the subject count as "taking potshots at those concerned with abortion."