The "uglification" of a church
(10-19-2012, 08:11 PM)DrBombay Wrote:
(10-19-2012, 07:21 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(10-19-2012, 06:16 PM)CaoimhinPConnell Wrote: There is an absurd brass plate at the entrance to the "church" that says: "No firearms allowed; this is a sacred place”  Really? – if it is so sacred, why have they desecrated the interior?  I would also like to know what is profane about carrying a firearm?  After all, surely no one believes the halberd is the only thing carried by the Swiss Guard! 

I know, but in the Middle Ages (and perhaps up until recently?), it was generally considered unseemly for a private citizen to carry arms into the church. Now, in those days, it was also far more common to have honor guards (with real weapons), and I fully support restoring that. Since a crazed shooter coming into the church is a very real possibility, I believe there ought to be uniformed police if possible as well as a couple of churchwardens designated to concealed carry, but I would absolutely never carry a gun into a church without being appointed by the pastor to do so.

Perhaps the pastor should carry a gun?  Would that be considered kosher?  Sneaky

Ninja Priests................. Confess or else...........
(10-19-2012, 08:14 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(10-19-2012, 08:11 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Perhaps the pastor should carry a gun?  Would that be considered kosher?  Sneaky

If he's wearing proper vestments, he'd be too encumbered by them to draw a gun with any reliability.

I was thinking wearing it over his alb, but under the chasuble.  
Quote:The Dove in his open right hand represents the gift of the Holy Spirit, the very life of God, breathed out upon the entire world at the moment of his death on the Cross (John 19:30). The corona can be seen as a symbol of the crown of thorns transformed into a crown of glory radiating from and transforming the sufferings of the Lord’s Paschal Mystery.

http://www.stjohncathedral.org/tour/carona.htm
(10-19-2012, 08:01 PM)Jacafamala Wrote:
(10-19-2012, 12:14 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(10-17-2012, 11:26 PM)Might_4_Right Wrote:
(10-17-2012, 09:57 PM)CaoimhinPConnell Wrote: The structure has been gutted of holiness, and the interior has been transformed into a theatrical circus.  The old alter has been gutted and in the ciborium, a circular “alter” has been erected; above which is an hideous monstrosity insulting the Corpus –ugly to look at, and uglier to behold. It may be a wonderful glorification of the human “artist” but it is an insult to any one with taste, and surely a testament of the lack of honor and holiness of the individual who approved such an abomination.

[Image: bad.jpg]

My initial reaction is that looks straight up demonic. 

Looks purdy prickly to me. Ouch! Like  bunch of broken can openers and Swiss army knives all floating up their in a metalic circle. I hate to ask, but is that a wishbone hanging off Jesus' right hand?  Blush

It's a dove!!!! (I had to go to their website) Here's what they say about it on the Virtual Tour:

(block quote)

The Corona

Suspended twenty-eight feet over the altar is a corona or crown 14 feet in diameter, designed by the well-known Italian sculptor Arnaldo Pomodoro in collaboration with Giuseppe Maraniello, who created the figure of Christ that completes the piece. It is made of fiberglass that has been bronzed and gilded. This piece serves to highlight the altar as the symbolic center of the cathedral. Johanine in its symbolism, it presents a powerful portrait of Jesus, thoroughly incarnate, yet Divine Lord and Master of every moment. His inner glory shines forth, especially at that hour when he is lifted up on the Cross and gives his life for the salvation of the world. The Dove in his open right hand represents the gift of the Holy Spirit, the very life of God, breathed out upon the entire world at the moment of his death on the Cross (John 19:30). The corona can be seen as a symbol of the crown of thorns transformed into a crown of glory radiating from and transforming the sufferings of the Lord’s Paschal Mystery.
(10-19-2012, 08:36 PM)Lateran15 Wrote:
(10-19-2012, 08:01 PM)Jacafamala Wrote:
(10-19-2012, 12:14 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(10-17-2012, 11:26 PM)Might_4_Right Wrote:
(10-17-2012, 09:57 PM)CaoimhinPConnell Wrote: The structure has been gutted of holiness, and the interior has been transformed into a theatrical circus.  The old alter has been gutted and in the ciborium, a circular “alter” has been erected; above which is an hideous monstrosity insulting the Corpus –ugly to look at, and uglier to behold. It may be a wonderful glorification of the human “artist” but it is an insult to any one with taste, and surely a testament of the lack of honor and holiness of the individual who approved such an abomination.

[Image: bad.jpg]

My initial reaction is that looks straight up demonic. 

Looks purdy prickly to me. Ouch! Like  bunch of broken can openers and Swiss army knives all floating up their in a metalic circle. I hate to ask, but is that a wishbone hanging off Jesus' right hand?  Blush

It's a dove!!!! (I had to go to their website) Here's what they say about it on the Virtual Tour:

That's not a dove.  It's only a wishbone from a dove... or a chicken. Puke

CollegeCatholic –

The sign was specific to “firearms,” not the person carrying the firearm – The brass sign has clearly been erected many years prior to the passage of 2011 Wisconsin Act 35.  Therefore, the sign applies equally to cops as well as all the other dirty (lawfully armed ) scum who may wish to enter the church and praise and worship Our Lord.  I noticed however that the "Old St. Mary’s" church just a couple blocks away, had no such sign and indeed niether did any of the other churchs I visited (including the lovely little Episcopalian Cathedral) – so why the disparity? 

I would like to know, scripturally or liturgically or where in the catechism or anywhere in Catholic dogma that firearms have been declared to be profane?

(10-19-2012, 08:11 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Perhaps the pastor should carry a gun?  Would that be considered kosher?  Sneaky

Come join me out west – We’ll go to Mass where the celebrating priest, and the decon are both packing (not to mention at least a quarter of the congregation). 

(10-20-2012, 02:27 AM)Hawaii Five-0 Wrote: That's not a dove.  It's only a wishbone from a dove... or a chicken. Puke

Only a pastor who thinks that firearms are profane could think that wishbone is a dove.

Cheers!

Caoimhín P. Connell

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

If he's wearing proper vestments, he'd be too encumbered by them to draw a gun with any reliability.

Also, between the Consecration and the Post Communion Ablution he wouldn't be able to draw it without profaning the Blessed Sacrament, as his fingers have been in contact with the Sacred Species.
(10-20-2012, 02:27 AM)Hawaii Five-0 Wrote: That's not a dove.  It's only a wishbone from a dove... or a chicken. Puke

Honestly, that's what most people are going to think; I can only imagine what non-Catholics must think upon seeing such a monstrosity. How can they think that Catholics have any special regard for God when kitschy modern art is how they choose to express central tenets.

People are going to look at that thing and wonder what is all that junk orbiting around that Jesus-like figure, and why its holding a wishbone. The Church and the Faith would be scandalized.
(10-20-2012, 10:43 AM)moneil Wrote:

Also, between the Consecration and the Post Communion Ablution he wouldn't be able to draw it without profaning the Blessed Sacrament, as his fingers have been in contact with the Sacred Species.

I'm not sure if you're being ironic or what, but I would think rubrical niceties go out the door when a marauding gunman is threatening one's congregation.  There's a story I heard about a priest giving Last Rites on a battlefield during WWII who was shot and dropped the Host.  A nearby soldier caught it before it touched the ground and consumed it.  Laymen were never to touch a Consecrated Host back then, but the circumstances warranted it and I'm pretty sure God understood. 
(10-20-2012, 08:59 PM)DrBombay Wrote:
(10-20-2012, 10:43 AM)moneil Wrote:

I'm not sure if you're being ironic or what, but I would think rubrical niceties go out the door when a marauding gunman is threatening one's congregation.  There's a story I heard about a priest giving Last Rites on a battlefield during WWII who was shot and dropped the Host.  A nearby soldier caught it before it touched the ground and consumed it.  Laymen were never to touch a Consecrated Host back then, but the circumstances warranted it and I'm pretty sure God understood. 
I think so. I daresay the good soldier's intention in so doing is quite a bit different from the nonchalant reception of Our Blessed Lord in the hand which will occur millions of times tomorrow.