What's wrong with the traditional Latinist movement
(10-17-2012, 11:20 PM)Melkite Wrote: And how it is departing from the Gospel...

[Image: legalism.jpg]

Yet trad groups are fond of beating the legalist dead horse.

[Image: mercy.jpg]

And yet trad groups fawn over justice at the expense of mercy.

[Image: mercy2.jpg]

Again, justice trumps mercy in the Latin West.

[Image: repent.jpg]

So much judgement of others, no looking in the mirror.

[Image: sins.jpg]

Easy to ignore your own sins when you have someone else's to point your finger at.

Scholasticism has clearly created not a new way of understanding the Gospel, but a different Gospel altogether.
Most traditionalist Latinists are kind and gentle.
Making this statement based on reading Latin trad internet sites is most certainly not a fair assesment.
The people that write there are in the minority of trads.

I go to the TLM almost every Holyday and the other people that go are all friendly docile and gentle.

Scholasticism is the intellectual basis for wisely considering Catholic morality.
St Pius X and many other holy fathers of the Church have repeatedly voiced tthis truth.
It is true Caritas.
(10-18-2012, 08:36 AM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: The actual quotes seem profitable. They are applicable to all, however, and there's nothing in the post justifying the targeting of Latin Rite Catholics.

Perhaps Melkite could think about this and modify the post.

I'm just not sure what the connection is between Latinism and scholasticism. If he is Melkite (i.e., Melkite rite in communion with Rome), scholasticism is his theological tradition, too.
(10-18-2012, 12:35 PM)sw85 Wrote:
(10-18-2012, 08:36 AM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: The actual quotes seem profitable. They are applicable to all, however, and there's nothing in the post justifying the targeting of Latin Rite Catholics.

I'm just not sure what the connection is between Latinism and scholasticism. If he is Melkite (i.e., Melkite rite in communion with Rome), scholasticism is his theological tradition, too.

He wouldn't agree with that.

Also, he has mentioned converting to Orthodoxy. I pray he doesn't take that step :pray:.
I have just a few things to say:

1) I knew Melkite couldn't let it go. He said he wasn't coming back. But he did. That kills a lot of his message.

2) You're broadbrushing people.

3) The Church is universal. If you believe that, then we'll all attempt to help each other draw closer to Christ and lay aside partisanship, which is foreign to the Body of Christ.

Šālôm ləḵā! / Εἰρήνη σοι! / Pax tecum!

False.
The Melkite Catholic Church is a separate church hierarchy, admitting that the pope is the rock of faith and unity. There is no 'Melkite rite'. Scholasticism is foreign to Eastern Christians. It's a part of their universal church heritage, but not for daily praxis and spiritual guidance.
(10-18-2012, 06:34 PM)randomtradguy Wrote: False.
The Melkite Catholic Church is a separate church hierarchy, admitting that the pope is the rock of faith and unity. There is no 'Melkite rite'. Scholasticism is foreign to Eastern Christians. It's a part of their universal church heritage, but not for daily praxis and spiritual guidance.

True, but they are not Latin Rite, they are Byzantine Rite. It is true that scholasticism is foreign to most Easterners both Catholic and Schismatic, tho' I thank God for Georgios Scholarios, the schismatic Patriarch of Constantinople, Gennadius II, a scholastic who was instrumental in my conversion to Catholicism.
(10-18-2012, 06:34 PM)randomtradguy Wrote:

False.

To be in communion with the Pope (as the Melkite Catholics are) they must accept the Church's teachings, no? Those teachings, at least as concern matters of morality, derive in large part from scholasticism. That's what I meant. Is that not true?
The title of the thread is wrong. We aren't "Latinists;" rather, we are fighting for and preserving the traditional Catholic Faith, due to the actions of the Vatican and its prelates during the last few decades. As such, many Easterners (voxxpopulisuxx, Society of Saint Josaphat) are also traditional.

Don't try to compare us with the Old Calendarists or some group clamoring for Latin. We aren't forming sui iuris churches just because the Name of Christ changed, or one small rubrical change.
Byzantine Catholics, Maronites, and other non-Latin Rite Catholics share the same teachings but they do not usually express them scholastically.
"Scholasticism has clearly created not a new way of understanding the Gospel, but a different Gospel altogether."

Heretical, as per Pope Pius VI (Auctorem Fidei, nn. 1, 76).

http://onetruecatholicfaith.com/Roman-Catholic-Dogma.php?id=31&title=Denzinger+1500+-+1599&page=2

I do agree, however, that the quotes provided are profitable.

Clemency is a virtue (to mitigate punishment), as is vengeance (punishment of sinners).  Each has its proper place.