TLM Starting at Brazil, IN, needs YOU!
(12-20-2012, 05:10 PM)LongfellowDeeds Wrote:
(12-20-2012, 01:59 PM)Lateran15 Wrote: Attendance is on the small side.
Father has told me when I've been that attendance has been as high as 100 and they are in a slump as far as Advent goes. I'll trust, but verify.

This must have been either the first or second time. I have only seen crowds of around twenty and that at best.  :'((

We must really do something about those Court House bells tho ---- "Jingle Bells" is not an appropriate post Communion hymn.  :LOL:
(12-20-2012, 05:10 PM)LongfellowDeeds Wrote:
(12-20-2012, 01:59 PM)Lateran15 Wrote: Attendance is on the small side.

Father has told me when I've been that attendance has been as high as 100 and they are in a slump as far as Advent goes. I'll trust, but verify.

(12-20-2012, 01:59 PM)Lateran15 Wrote: Low Mass -  Missa Recitata. I am not in the loop about the future plans, although all this depends on Father and when he is moved next.

Our current plan is getting together a Missa Cantata every quarter - expect the first one sometime around the end of April, God willing, if not before.

Nota Bene: Father reads the Epistle and Gospel in English from the altar, for those who find that kind of thing jarring.

I always thought this was one of the most useless things to fight.  Never quite understood trads who got upset about not hearing the readings in Latin.  I mean, I understand why, I just don't think it's a big deal.  The gospel and epistle are for the faithful, not for God. Reading them in latin and then again in English is, at least for liturgical purposes, redundant. 
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(12-20-2012, 08:23 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: I always thought this was one of the most useless things to fight.  Never quite understood trads who got upset about not hearing the readings in Latin.  I mean, I understand why, I just don't think it's a big deal.  The gospel and epistle are for the faithful, not for God. Reading them in latin and then again in English is, at least for liturgical purposes, redundant. 

When was it allowed, Dylan? Do you know?

The way I see it, the readings in Latin are formal parts of the Mass. Father then reading it in the vernacular for the faithful is something outside of the Mass. Like the asperges, or benediction afterwards.
(12-21-2012, 12:42 AM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote:
(12-20-2012, 08:23 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: I always thought this was one of the most useless things to fight.  Never quite understood trads who got upset about not hearing the readings in Latin.  I mean, I understand why, I just don't think it's a big deal.  The gospel and epistle are for the faithful, not for God. Reading them in latin and then again in English is, at least for liturgical purposes, redundant. 

The way I see it, the readings in Latin are formal parts of the Mass. Father then reading it in the vernacular for the faithful is something outside of the Mass. Like the asperges, or benediction afterwards.

I'm no liturgist, but this is how I always viewed it as well.  I mean, the Epistle and Gospel are read even if there are no faithful present.
Longfellow, if the mass is sometimes reaching toward 100 is there any plan by Father to try a Sunday?
(12-21-2012, 12:42 AM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote:

Sure.

I'm just saying that I would support a legitimate reform that had the readings in English.  And I think it's a waste of a trad's energy to get hung up on this practice at some TLMs.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(12-21-2012, 08:43 PM)Walty Wrote: Longfellow, if the mass is sometimes reaching toward 100 is there any plan by Father to try a Sunday?

Even at current numbers I think Father is playing around in his head with a "damn the attendance, full speed ahead" approach for starting a semi-regular Sunday mass, if we can manage to get a choir together. That is what I gathered from my speaking to him. Again, though, I might have misheard him.
Mark your calendars!

I've just spoken with Father, and Tuesday, March the 19th, we will be having a High Mass in honor of St. Joseph. All are invited to attend. There's the possibility, if we get enough people involved, that there might be a pitch-in/St. Joseph's Table party afterwards, but that's in the works. So yes. Please join us for this august occasion!
I read in Latin Mass magazine a few years back that the readings are in latin to give God back what is His and it mentioned it as a sacrifice of praise or something? Doesn't make much sense once I typed it but that's all I have!
(01-08-2013, 09:31 PM)JMartyr Wrote: I read in Latin Mass magazine a few years back that the readings are in latin to give God back what is His and it mentioned it as a sacrifice of praise or something? Doesn't make much sense once I typed it but that's all I have!

Well since the language of these divinely inspired scriptures was originally Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, by this logic we  would read the scriptures in their original languages if we sought to give God back what is his. I think the most logical reason is simply that the rest of the mass is in Latin, the missals were in Latin etc. and so it isn't obvious to then translate the readings.