Voting: Abortion and Contraception
This is meant to be a discussion of Catholic morality and civic duty, and not politics.

Romney came out and said he supports that abortion should be an option in cases of rape, incest, and to save the life of the mother (which Ryan said in his debate as well). This is, of course, contrary to Catholic doctrine. Furthermore, he is not against contraception.

Question: How much "evil" renders a candidate unqualified to receive a vote? How much "lesser of evil" is permitted? Also, does the unrealistic chance of a third candidate mitigate our requirement to not vote for the candidate supporting less evil? May we always vote for someone, even if they support some evil?

Context: http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/new-rom...n-option39
I'd sure like to see other folks reasoning on this mess. I've decided three ways, one for Mittens, two for write in, and three toss the absentee ballot out. Mittens is barely better or the lesser evil, a write in like Buchanan or Fr. Rodriguez is good but useless, and tossing it tempts to stop worrying about this as I have no say actually.

tim
(10-18-2012, 01:59 PM)Tim Wrote: I'd sure like to see other folks reasoning on this mess. I've decided three ways, one for Mittens, two for write in, and three toss the absentee ballot out. Mittens is barely better or the lesser evil, a write in like Buchanan or Fr. Rodriguez is good but useless, and tossing it tempts to stop worrying about this as I have no say actually.

tim

Tim, I voted early and left the presidential slot blank. I will not, under any circumstances vote for a pro-babykiller, pro-contracept candidate regardless of party. Just my .02. :)
Are well all or nothing? Is that morally required?
(10-18-2012, 02:25 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: Are well all or nothing? Is that morally required?

I make no judgement for others. That's a matter for each voter, his confessor and God. For me, it's all or nothing.
What is the issue with contraception?  How are the candidates "pro contraception"?  Do they encourage it?
(10-18-2012, 03:16 PM)PeterII Wrote: What is the issue with contraception?  How are the candidates "pro contraception"?  Do they encourage it?

"Not to oppose error is to approve it; and not to defend truth is to suppress it; and indeed to neglect to confound evil men, when we can do it, is no less a sin than to encourage them." (Pope St. Felix III)
(10-18-2012, 02:25 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: Are well all or nothing? Is that morally required?

I would say not -- otherwise a good Catholic could never vote at all, because there will never be a perfect Catholic candidate (and even if there were, he wouldn't stand a chance of getting nominated by either party). So I would be OK with voting for the lesser evil, provided that it was significantly lesser, and below a certain threshold. But I don't think that applies in this election. Obama and Romney are different, but equally bad -- and neither is below my threshold. I could not in good conscience vote for either of them.
(10-18-2012, 03:16 PM)PeterII Wrote: What is the issue with contraception?  How are the candidates "pro contraception"?  Do they encourage it?

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/new-rom...n-option39

From the article attached to the video:

Quote:"Romney doesn’t oppose contraception at all,” she said. “In fact, he thinks abortion should be an option in cases of rape incest, or to save a mother’s life.”
Obviously abortion in the cases of rape, incest, and life of mother (the last of which is should be RARE, given the advances of medicine) is still killing and we can't accept it.  But in this country, that's the best you're going to get.  We're not a Catholic country.  Granted, before the 1960's abortion was banned everywhere in this country..but they still occurred, not only in back alleys, but in doctor's offices.  Much as we'd like to have all abortion banned, it's just not do-able in this country until we have a totally Catholic Congress, President, and Supreme Court..

By the way, a priest I recently heard at the EF of the Mass was preaching about the political situation today...and he said that granted, we have in our midst the opportunity to vote, unfortunately, for the lesser of two evils..that's it.  And he went on to say that anybody who votes for a pro-abortion candidate is excommunicated.  I was kind of shocked to hear that and don't know if that's true.  But I don 't think he was implying in any way that a vote for Romney was grounds for excommunication, at least that's what I got out of it...I believe he was speaking of the ardently pro-abortion candidates like Obama/Biden.
Christina