Voting: Abortion and Contraception
(10-19-2012, 03:11 PM)lumine Wrote:
(10-19-2012, 03:05 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: You're really voting for Obama? Is this intentional contrarianism?

No, this isn't intentional contrarianism.  There are Traditional Catholics who do vote for democrats, and I am not referring to myself but other trads who have volunteered the information.  I am really voting for President Obama.

My family, who immigrated to the country mostly in the 1960s, have been democrats too. When my grandmother became a citizen, my grandfather, a merchant seaman, told her to always vote Dem, who were for the poor and Catholics (the only Repub he liked was Ike). Still, I certainly cannot vote in good conscience for a man who wants to spread abortion rights all over the world, nor am I voting for Romney.

I think you should abstain from voting rather than vote Obama. You are making a serious mistake.
(10-19-2012, 03:18 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(10-19-2012, 03:11 PM)lumine Wrote:
(10-19-2012, 03:05 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: You're really voting for Obama? Is this intentional contrarianism?

No, this isn't intentional contrarianism.  There are Traditional Catholics who do vote for democrats, and I am not referring to myself but other trads who have volunteered the information.  I am really voting for President Obama.

Ok, give me a real reason.  Not some asinine "I don't like Romney" reason.  But one real, hardcore, based in facts reason for voting for Obama. 

I said alot more than I don't like Romney.  It's not up to me to like him. It's up to me to determine from the policies of the party he belongs to whether, or not, I want to vote for him.  What he wants to do to this country is not good.  The other party has more Christian social justice issues that they back, which has usually been the fundamental difference between the two parties.
Name the policies. Feeding the welfare state doesn't help, and it has actually led minorities to ruin. Just turn on the Maury show to see.
(10-19-2012, 03:34 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: Name the policies. Feeding the welfare state doesn't help, and it has actually led minorities to ruin. Just turn on the Maury show to see.

Oh my, Maury Povich...no thanks. 
I do not think I know one traditional Catholic priest from whatever community/viewpoint on the crisis that would tell someone that it is okay to vote for Obama for president.  I am not saying to vote for Romney, but Obama has been called out by all trad priests that I have spoken with or have been present when they were speaking about him.

Joe
Realistically, Romney is the lesser of two evils. A write in name on the ballet or third party vote works in Obama's favor. I will vote for Romney.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(10-19-2012, 03:44 PM)lumine Wrote:
(10-19-2012, 03:34 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: Name the policies. Feeding the welfare state doesn't help, and it has actually led minorities to ruin. Just turn on the Maury show to see.

Oh my, Maury Povich...no thanks. 

Your voting for Obama does not make sense.
(10-18-2012, 05:44 PM)PeterII Wrote:
(10-18-2012, 04:30 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:
(10-18-2012, 04:24 PM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: Even if a candidate were personally opposed to contraception, they would NEVER publically say so, because public opinion is so strongly for it.  That's a huge flaw of the democratic model -- just about anyone (and certainly anyone of faith) has to betray their own values to be elected.

Yes, this kind of goes with what I was saying. A true Catholic candidate -- one that we could vote for with no qualms of conscience -- could never even get nominated, let alone elected. Our culture supports contraception and even abortion, and it will take a lot more than electing a different president to change that.

But what if laws against abortion actually resulted in more abortion due to the black market providing the services (which seems to be a possibility in South America)?  What would a true Catholic candidate do in that case?
Just laws are all we can hope for. We can't go further than that.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(10-18-2012, 01:48 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: This is meant to be a discussion of Catholic morality and civic duty, and not politics.

Romney came out and said he supports that abortion should be an option in cases of rape, incest, and to save the life of the mother (which Ryan said in his debate as well). This is, of course, contrary to Catholic doctrine. Furthermore, he is not against contraception.

Question: How much "evil" renders a candidate unqualified to receive a vote? How much "lesser of evil" is permitted? Also, does the unrealistic chance of a third candidate mitigate our requirement to not vote for the candidate supporting less evil? May we always vote for someone, even if they support some evil?

Context: http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/new-rom...n-option39

If we are looking from a Catholic perspective, both major parties do not oppose divorce, in addition to all of the other evils that neither one opposes.  Marriage between one man and one woman means until death parts them, yet how many candidates on both sides have been divorced and remarried, so if we vote for such a person we are condoning adultery. 
Who are the candidates who actually don't even inadvertently support any evil, and does this mean that Catholics should abstain from voting?
(10-19-2012, 06:56 PM)lumine Wrote: (D)oes this mean that Catholics should abstain from voting?

IMHO, yes!