What a wonderful photo op for Obama and Dolan
He's America's Wolsey, and sadly he hasn't learned from history.
(10-19-2012, 10:30 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Not that it's going to make anyone feel better, but bishops have always been willing to compromise to win the favor of political leaders.  How many English bishops caved in to King Henry VIII?  All but one, yes? 

We all know what the road to hell is paved with.  You literally couldn't pay me enough to be a bishop.  And most of them make six figures, so it's not a bad gig.  Just sayin.

It's also not as if all of the popes trads love were afraid to get their hands dirty in practical politics. You can't have your cake and eat it too. 
(10-19-2012, 10:30 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Not that it's going to make anyone feel better, but bishops have always been willing to compromise to win the favor of political leaders.  How many English bishops caved in to King Henry VIII?  All but one, yes? 

We all know what the road to hell is paved with.  You literally couldn't pay me enough to be a bishop.  And most of them make six figures, so it's not a bad gig.  Just sayin.

Too true

"The fort is betrayed even of them that should have defended it."   I think thats how it went...
Okay, just to clarify.  The road to hell is paved with good intentions.  It's the floor of hell that is paved with the skulls of bishops.  I apologize for not being an expert on the macadamizing materials of the netherworld.  Carry on, my wayward sons.  Tip o' the hat
(10-20-2012, 12:09 AM)DrBombay Wrote: Okay, just to clarify.  The road to hell is paved with good intentions.  It's the floor of hell that is paved with the skulls of bishops.  I apologize for not being an expert on the macadamizing materials of the netherworld.  Carry on, my wayward sons.  Tip o' the hat
It's the floor of hell that is paved with the skulls of bishops.

Do you know who originally said that?  Smile
(10-20-2012, 12:11 AM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote:
(10-20-2012, 12:09 AM)DrBombay Wrote: Okay, just to clarify.  The road to hell is paved with good intentions.  It's the floor of hell that is paved with the skulls of bishops.  I apologize for not being an expert on the macadamizing materials of the netherworld.  Carry on, my wayward sons.  Tip o' the hat

I could google, but as you know I'm lazy.  Was it a bishop?
(10-20-2012, 12:14 AM)DrBombay Wrote:
(10-20-2012, 12:11 AM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote:

I could google, but as you know I'm lazy.  Was it a bishop?
Yes. Archbishop of Constantinople actually.
The same man who said "NO JEW ADORES GOD."

St. John Chrysostom.

Bishop & Doctor of The Church