Benedict XVI wears the fanon
(10-21-2012, 07:13 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: When I become Pope, the traditional Mass will be restored at Saint Peter's; and not only that, but I'll celebrate at the Lateran (the Pope's own cathedral) every Sunday,  and enact a program to gradually mandate that all bishops celebrate the traditional Mass from the throne in their cathedral churches every Sunday. The fact that bishops don't even celebrate the Novus Ordo in their cathedrals every Sunday should be a cause for concern.

The normative Mass in the Sistine Chapel will be the Sarum.

Oh, and at least the Pope wore the fanon with Gothic vestments. It looks silly with a fiddleback, although the fanon probably hasn't been worn with a Gothic chasuble for centuries. That's more remarkable than the fact that the Pope is simply wearing it.

Aren't you at all concerned that your cougar wife will scandalize the faithful, Holiness?
I'll get excited when he starts teaching the Catholic Faith.   The idea that people get so excited because of the garb he wore shows just how bad things are.  
I'm not very optimistic. His Holiness brings back the fanon, but the doctrine doesn't change. I just see it as another move forward towards his synthesis: the hermeneutic of continuity.
(10-21-2012, 07:15 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Aren't you at all concerned that your cougar wife will scandalize the faithful, Holiness?

Wedlock couldn't possibly be as scandalous as all the papal mistresses of the past; especially Pope John X, who supposedly was sleeping with a mother and daughter pair at the same time.
(10-21-2012, 07:13 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Oh, and at least the Pope wore the fanon with Gothic vestments. It looks silly with a fiddleback, although the fanon probably hasn't been worn with a Gothic chasuble for centuries. That's more remarkable than the fact that the Pope is simply wearing it.
Noticed this as well. Wasn't a quasi-conical "gothic" chasuble with the grapes and chi rho but true gothic cut. Really liked the miter.
Cool news.  In the end we win.  Maybe it was a gift from +Fellay.
(10-21-2012, 03:20 PM)LoyalVIews Wrote: It has been suggested that he is bringing things back bit by bit. Perhaps this is another step in the ladder? Maybe he has a plan, we can't read his mind.

His bishop appointments have been pretty crappy lately. 

Brick by brick, of course.  Put on an old vestment, say something pretty in Latin, praise heretics, say the NO, appoint crappy bishops.

Sounds typical.
(10-21-2012, 04:28 PM)EnglishConvert Wrote:
(10-21-2012, 03:25 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(10-21-2012, 03:20 PM)LoyalVIews Wrote: It has been suggested that he is bringing things back bit by bit. Perhaps this is another step in the ladder? Maybe he has a plan, we can't read his mind.

It's also been shown and discussed that everytime a brick is added, it seems that two are removed.

This pope has never celebrated the TLM, has done nothing about the novus ordo, has praised heretics for their faith and has invited and encouraged false worship.  Pray for him and the Church, but he has done nothing to prove orthodoxy, much the opposite.

Actually he celebrated the TLM numerous times in public as Cardinal Ratzinger and there are rumours he celebrates it privately as Pope. He's done plenty about the NO. He's encouraged Communion in the traditional manner, used Latin, as ordered by Vatican II, good vestments, the use of the Pontifical dalmatic, improved the Papal music considerably, the use of the Benedictine arrangement as a stopping point before switching to ad orientem (the Pope having celebrated two in such a fashion). Pope Benedict leads by example and the young and younger clergy especially are following him

Those rumors were shut down by the Vatican press office.

Also, why are rumors and speculation OK when it's OK for the Pope, but bad when it's bad for the Pope (I'm thinking Pope Paul VI's rumored homosexuality).
(10-21-2012, 07:13 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: The normative Mass in the Sistine Chapel will be the Sarum.
You have my vote!  (Assuming I were a Cardinal and had one, of course.)
(10-21-2012, 07:07 PM)DrBombay Wrote:
(10-21-2012, 04:26 PM)Adelbrecht Wrote:
(10-21-2012, 03:40 PM)SaintRafael Wrote: Pope Benedict was given a tiara as a gift from Catholic and Orthodox Christians last year. He hasn't used it:

[Image: OR110525121416_111333.JPG] [Image: tiara-300x199.jpg]
A serious waste of money, honestly. There are a lot of tiaras in the papal collection, and the money could've been better spent for parishes or aid for the poor.

John 12:6 Wrote:Now he said this, not because he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief...

:tiphat:

Not that I have any illusions about Benedict XVI, but the quote from John sums things up quite nicely! Bravo!