Being Laughed at by a Priest
I think one of the most difficult aspects of pride to overcome is to acknowledge the existence of the supernatural.  In this case, it is possible that even the most modernism-infected priest may be receptive to the graces he receives by virtue of his ordination.  I don't dispute that there are a lot of practical challenges in bringing the TLM to a NO parish, but you should always start my praying that it happens, and offering alms and fasting for that intention.

Everytime a prayer of mine is granted, like everyone else I suppose, I struggle with the whole "was it REALLY granted?  Or did it just happen because it was going to anyway, or was probably going to happen, etc?" dynamic.

Accepting the reality and possibility of the supernatural (graces, intercession of saints, etc.) is an ongoing barrier for all of us. 

As for the OP, I face ongoing issues with finding a priest willing to bless a Rosary or scapular or whatever according to the traditional formulae.  Just the other day, for example, I successfully became a cordbearer (i.e. was invested with the cord of St. Francis) according to the Roman Ritual.  It took me a few months carrying around the Roman Ritual and the cord before I finally found a priest to do it.  I also once had a priest out and out refuse to bless my scapular or enroll me properly, telling me "just go ahead.  Even prostitutes wear those things."

One would think that, out of charity if for no other reason, a priest would be amenable to taking 60 seconds out of his precious day to use an approved blessing supplied to him by the person seeking his assistance.  Right? Even if he personally disliked the older forms (due no doubt to the minor exorcisms in the older blessings), he should still use them if asked, yes?  But no.  A significant number will steadfastly refuse to bless sacramentals according to traditional formulas.  I always make it as easy as possible too: I provide the object, along with a copy of the blessing or the Roman Ritual itself (I have Latin and English versions).  I even provide Holy Water.  But no...it's despicable, really. 
(10-26-2012, 05:12 PM)Allan Wrote: I also once had a priest out and out refuse to bless my scapular or enroll me properly, telling me "just go ahead.  Even prostitutes wear those things."

Although this is not to suggest that the priest is condemned it is interesting that he picked prostitutes in light of this scripture.

Jesus said to them, "Truly I say to you that the tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the kingdom of God before you." Matthew 21:31

(10-26-2012, 05:12 PM)Allan Wrote: I think one of the most difficult aspects of pride to overcome is to acknowledge the existence of the supernatural.  In this case, it is possible that even the most modernism-infected priest may be receptive to the graces he receives by virtue of his ordination.  I don't dispute that there are a lot of practical challenges in bringing the TLM to a NO parish, but you should always start my praying that it happens, and offering alms and fasting for that intention.

Everytime a prayer of mine is granted, like everyone else I suppose, I struggle with the whole "was it REALLY granted?   Or did it just happen because it was going to anyway, or was probably going to happen, etc?" dynamic.

Accepting the reality and possibility of the supernatural (graces, intercession of saints, etc.) is an ongoing barrier for all of us. 

As for the OP, I face ongoing issues with finding a priest willing to bless a Rosary or scapular or whatever according to the traditional formulae.  Just the other day, for example, I successfully became a cordbearer (i.e. was invested with the cord of St. Francis) according to the Roman Ritual.  It took me a few months carrying around the Roman Ritual and the cord before I finally found a priest to do it.  I also once had a priest out and out refuse to bless my scapular or enroll me properly, telling me "just go ahead.  Even prostitutes wear those things."

One would think that, out of charity if for no other reason, a priest would be amenable to taking 60 seconds out of his precious day to use an approved blessing supplied to him by the person seeking his assistance.  Right? Even if he personally disliked the older forms (due no doubt to the minor exorcisms in the older blessings), he should still use them if asked, yes?  But no.  A significant number will steadfastly refuse to bless sacramentals according to traditional formulas.  I always make it as easy as possible too: I provide the object, along with a copy of the blessing or the Roman Ritual itself (I have Latin and English versions).  I even provide Holy Water.  But no...it's despicable, really. 

I'm sorry about your predicament  :((  And prayers for you  :(( This just makes me value more that we have an SSPX priory 20 minutes ride away from my place. Every sunday after Mass a large group of pious old ladies wait for Padre (saying his thanksgiving prayers) to bless their packages and boxes and bags or religious items.
Do you go to OLV? Who is the priest there?
yeah, the prior is Fr. Onoda
Oh, okay. I hope to visit there one day.
(10-26-2012, 11:23 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: Oh, okay. I hope to visit there one day.

hope to see you there soon. We also have a number of other priests there, the american priest runs the all boys school and others always go out to the mission stations up north and down south  :)
If you're seroius about having vespers - why not organize a group that would pray vespers anyway?
Sometimes it's easier when you have a stable group of several people
:) :) :)
(10-28-2012, 12:56 AM)Poche Wrote: If you're seroius about having vespers - why not organize a group that would pray vespers anyway?
Sometimes it's easier when you have a stable group of several people
:) :) :)

Well now hold on a moment..what EXACTLY do you think a STABLE group is?  Before Fr. Light loafers lets you use HIS church for something medieval like that he's gonna need some paperwork, like signed papyrus from the Holy Father, witnessed at a consistory or something.

Besides, he's already rented it out to the Rainbow committee for fundraising fashion party.  Or something.

Ok. /cynicism

Good luck.  Maybe you'll do better than me.
Allan, regarding your cord issue, when I wanted to get enrolled in the scapular, the first two priests (at different parishes) I brought it to only would do the standard blessing for sacramentals, despite the fact that I had the rite with me, etc.  The third I brought it to was over joyed to be able to do it, saying no one had asked him to do so in a long, long time.  It really seemed to make his day.  I figure God thought it was best for this priest that I come to him, rather than have another do it just to placate me.

As for getting laughed at, I don't have an uncharitable example, but way back when I was very nervous going to confession, I stumbled over the act of contrition and said, "dread the loss of Hell" (rather than loss of Heaven). The priest laughed and said, "in that case, you're in the wrong place!"