Question: Cordbearer of St. Francis
I was recently invested with the Cord of St. Francis by a priest, and note that according to the Handbook of the Third Order of St. Francis, I am legally required to either:

1) Have my name "inscribed in the register of a canonically established confraternity [of cordbearers]"; or

2) Send my name to "the Father Superior of the Sacro Convento, Assisi".

Option #1 is out, as the only confraternity I know of these days is the one run by the SSPX, and they refused to invest me unless I signed a written attestation that I would never again attend any Mass unless it was an SSPX Mass (this outrageous and unlawful request was discussed in another thread some months back).  I gather, therefore, that telling them I found a Diocesan priest to invest me will impress them enough to inscribe my name on their register, especially after I told them what to do with their attestation.

Option #2 is problematic because - despite Dr. Google - I have not been able to find out exactly who and where I am supposed to inform.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Anyone know a confraternity or who to write to for #2?

Info on the whole cordbearer thing is here: http://www.ecclesiamilitans.com/archconf...gences.pdf
Congratulations on your investiture.

I have no advice to give, though if nobody else does I could ask some Franciscans - there's a monastery just across from where I live.

What you said about the SSPX making you sign something about never attending any non-SSPX mass.... I'm speechless.  :crazy:

If you can't find anything else about it, why not just send it to

Father Superior
Sacro Convento
Assisi, Italy

and write "3rd order of San Francisco" on the envelope, on the bottom of the front is what I'd do.

"Order" is probably "Ordo" in Italian as well as Latin; you could look it up in one of the English-Italian dictionaries online.  I think "of" would be "de" in this case but di, del, and della are other words for "of" in Italian.

You could also write S.A.G., or St. Anthony Guide on the back.  Or write it in Italian: San Antonio -- and look up 'guide.'  Might as well invoke another Italian saint!  Especially since Anthony, who was an Augustinian (I think), became a Franciscan after hearing Francis preach.

Lots of Italians speak English, but some don't.  They always like it when visitors speak Italian to them, even just a few words, so it couldn't hurt to show you've tried to write in Italian.