Pilgrimage to Purgatory --- Sunday
Lamentations of a Soul in Purgatory

SUNDAY

Holy Souls in Purgatory, is there anything you regret when you think of your life on earth?

I deeply regret wasted time....I did not consider it so precious, so fleeting, so irretrievable.  For this reason my life was worth only half of what it might have been. Oh, had I but realized it then! Would that I could return to earth, how differently I would use the time given me!

Precious time! Today I know how to appreciate you. You were purchased with the blood of Christ; you were given me for the sole purpose of loving God, sanctifying myself and edifying my neighbor.

But alas! I have abused you by committing sin; I have craved vanity, pleasures and trifles; 1 have been dreaming dreams which now cause me bitter reproaches and remorse.  Precious time... Wasted time... How heavily you weigh upon me now! How it grieves me to have lost you through my own fault! Fleeting time.... Time which passes so quickly on earth, but which drags so slowly in this prison of fire, in this place of excruciating torments! Formerly, years seemed like days to me.

My whole life vanished like a dream.  Hours now seem like years, days like centuries.  I must now suffer, weep, and wait, until the last minute of wasted time is redeemed.  Oh, how long shall my exile last!  Irretrievable time!

On earth I relied on my last years to do penance; but the thread of my life was severed at a moment when I expected it least!

O precious time! You were given me to acquire treasures and graces without limit, but now you are lost for me forever.  You, who still live on earth, do not waste the gift of time, which has cost Jesus such a high price, and for which you too will have to suffer in Purgatory if you imitate our carelessness.  You, who are privileged to live during a time which is preeminently devoted to the Sacred Heart, during these last centuries when He has revealed to the world His love in its fullness:  intercede for us that we may obtain the merits of at least one of these days, in which His grace is so freely and abundantly offered you.

Pious Exercises

Resolution.--Today I will do everything possible to assist the souls of priests, religious and all those in Purgatory who have been faithful to this devotion all their lives. I also recommend myself to those who are entering heaven at this moment.

Tbought for the day. -- The sufferings of the souls in Purgatory are so great that a single day appears to them like a thousand years.

Exercise. -- Use a few moments of your time to make ejaculations in honor of the divine Heart for the comfort and consolation of the Poor Souls.

Special Intention. -- lmplore the Divine Heart of Jesus to grant relief to the most forsaken soul in Purgatory.

Motive. -- The greater the abandonment of a soul, the greater will be its gratitude towards you. It will obtain for you the privilege never to be forsaken by God through the withdrawal of His grace, and never to abandon Him by committing sin.

Prayer. -- Lord God Almighty, I pray Thee, by the Precious Blood which Thy divine Son Jesus shed in the garden, deliver the souls in Purgatory and especially that soul which is most destitute of spiritual aid; and vouchsafe to bring it to Thy glory, there to praise and bless Thee forever. Amen.

Our Father... Hail Mary

(Any form of prayer for the Poor Souls may be used.)

De Profundis    Psalm 129:

Out of the depths I have cried unto Thee, O
Lord: Lord hear my voice. Let Thine ears be
attentive to the voice of my supplication.
If Thou, O Lord, shalt mark out iniquities:
O Lord, who can abide it!
For with Thee there is mercy; and by reason
of Thy law I have waited on Thee, O Lord.
My soul hath waited on His word; my soul
hath hoped in the Lord.
From the morning watch even unto night: let
Israel hope in the Lord.
For with the Lord there is mercy; and with
Him is plenteous redemption.
And he shall redeem Israel from all his iniquities.

V. Eternal rest give them, O Lord.

R. And let perpetual light shine upon them.

Ejaculation.--Sweet Heart of Jesus, make me love Thee ever more and more.

May the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace. Amen.
:pray: :pray: :pray: