Recent Synod enshrines Religious Liberty
(10-30-2012, 02:08 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: Wait one darn minute! 

If we are to love God, then we must choose Him freely.  That means that just as freely, we can reject Him.  That isn't precisely "modernish" thinking. 

St. Augustine said, “Now He has revealed to us, through His Holy Scriptures, that there is in a man a free choice of will. But how He has revealed this I do not recount in human language, but in divine. There is, to begin with, the fact that God's precepts themselves would be of no use to a man unless he had free choice of will, so that by performing them he might obtain the promised rewards. For they are given that no one might be able to plead the excuse of ignorance, as the Lord says concerning the Jews in the gospel: If I had not come and spoken unto them, they would not have sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. John 15:22” (New Advent)  Cliff Notes Version: It is in choosing to do God's will that we find salvation. This assumes that man must choose to follow God - aka believe in him and follow His commandments.

And Augustine says again later: “When God says, “Turn ye unto me, and I will turn unto you,” Zechariah 1:3 one of these clauses— that which invites our return to God— evidently belongs to our will; while the other, which promises His return to us, belongs to His grace. . . .  [large portion removed on the Palagians] unless our turning to God were itself God's gift, it would not be said to Him in prayer, Turn us again, O God of hosts; and, You, O God, wilt turn and quicken us; and again, Turn us, O God of our salvation, — with other passages of similar import, too numerous to mention here. For, with respect to our coming unto Christ, what else does it mean than our being turned to Him by believing? And yet He says: No man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father. John 6:65” (New Advent)  Cliff Notes Version:  Our free will - our ability both to sin and to turn toward God are both God's gift.  He allows us to choose freely.

It's not modern thought.  It's straight from Retractions (c. 426-427).
Modernish?  Unless your standard for modern is very strange indeed, you may want to rethink this one.

Was not directed at you, but the absurdity of the synod.

As Phillipus, this is about the word usage of "rights" not free will. But remember, to turn to God freely is only by His Grace and Will working through us to turn to Him. So the freedom of will exercised to do His Will, is His Will and is the height of true freedom since this breaks us from the bondage of sin and uplifts us in the Trinitarian Life.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Recent Synod enshrines Religious Liberty - by TS Aquinas - 10-30-2012, 02:26 PM