Recent Synod enshrines Religious Liberty
(10-30-2012, 09:16 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: This shouldn't be that coercion. No one, including any government power, can coerce others to accept Catholicism, but this doesn't mean that we have a right to religious liberty, as it is in the United States and most of the world.

Nor should one use the "imagine how life would be without religious liberty" line. Yes, it would be unfortunate to live in a State where State Protestantism, Orthodoxy, Islam, or even Atheism meant that the Church had to go underground, but these would simply be errors in fact, whilst religious liberty, or a lack of state religion, in an error in principal.

I think you are making these assertions from a rather cushy vantage point.  You decry religious liberty whilst living under its protections.  Indeed, many fishies accuse the bishops of the US of not defending our rights to the free exercise of religion or at least of doing it poorly.  One of the greatest criticisms of our current president has been the HHS mandate and its infringements on religious liberty and rights of conscience.   

You would rather that Christians be persecuted the world over than ask that a secular state acknowledge each man's ability to worship according to his conscience.  I think this is a strange stance to take since it ignores much of what has come to pass in our own history.  We are no longer living in the 13th century. 

I'm not sure the pope or the bishops have the luxury of so deluded an approach to the Church's position vis-a-vis government.  I think, though I don't know for certain, that the bishops are attempting to frame concepts of free will and the ability to worship in the language of government.  Since the Enlightenment, the idea of natural law and natural rights - inalienable or otherwise - have formed much of the western understanding of government through the concepts of the social contract.  To discuss the issue of Christian persecution without such terminology while appealing to secular governments for protections for their Christian citizens is both foolhardy and futile.  Do you people seriously not think about the ramifications of your assertions and how they will be understood by the world we actually live in? 

Messages In This Thread
Re: Recent Synod enshrines Religious Liberty - by Fontevrault - 10-30-2012, 10:31 PM