Recent Synod enshrines Religious Liberty
Here is how I understand the issues now. (I have not read all recent posts)

Religious liberty can concern something internal and/or something external. 

Internally, religious liberty might mean free will.  That is something impossible to take away.  But it might also mean a right to think whatever one wants. This could be not only about religion, but about anything; evil men think they have the right to think sinful thoughts.  Above all, thought is free, they say!  But that is not true, because we are accountable to God for our thoughts about anything.  How much more are we accountable for what we think about God and how to worship Him - our religion! There is no right there.  We may be permitted to believe falsehood (when we are learning or inculpably ignorant), but we have no right to do so.

Externally, religious liberty might mean the right not to be coerced to say what one does not believe internally (or possibly to think something because of psychological force, e.g. hypnotism).  I think that is a true right.  But it might also mean the right to practice and promote one's religion publicly.  But that is not a right, but something it is sometimes wise for the Church to tolerate.

The concern with Vatican II is that it supports the internal right to think whatever you want about religion, and the external right to practice and promote your religion publicly.  Neither of these is a right.  An example of the first so-called right is seen in not trying to convert people any more (and in ecumenism in general).  An example of the second so-called right is seen in the abolition of the Catholic state (e.g. Spain), and also in the inclusion of non-Catholic indoctrination in so-called Catholic schools.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Recent Synod enshrines Religious Liberty - by Doce Me - 10-30-2012, 10:36 PM