Recent Synod enshrines Religious Liberty
It might be helpful if we could have clarity over whether Dignitatis Humanae provides only freedom of coercion in matters of what faith he professes, or if it also mandates a public secular regime. The vast majority of bishops of the Church plainly believe the latter to be the case, by their words and deeds. From the letter of the text, however, if some majority Catholic country were to draft a new constitution in 2013 that required public officials to be professed Catholics, would this be squared with DH?

I think the defenders of DH do well in defending its judgment of coercion, but to me the idea that an intrinsically neutral secular regime is an ecumenical teaching is monstrous. From my reading, it does not - explicitly - and thus you could square a hypothetical constitution that I mentioned above with it.

However, the plain meaning of paragraph 4, for example, seems to me to strongly prohibit any efforts such as the Swiss law to ban the construction of Islamic minarets in their towns.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Recent Synod enshrines Religious Liberty - by Cordobes - 10-31-2012, 07:30 AM