Smoking pot a mortal sin
(10-30-2012, 09:42 PM)anamchara Wrote:
(10-30-2012, 09:18 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote:
(10-30-2012, 09:13 PM)anamchara Wrote: Here in Michigan, marijuana is legal with a doctor's prescription. In general, I don't trust doctors. I prefer to self-diagnose and self-medicate.

I see nothing immoral about self-medicating with marijuana. I don't see anything immoral in moderate marijuana use for any reason.

I can understand your distrust of the medical profession, but if we applied this line of thinking to other things, it would not work. For example, with cars, apart from basic operations, you would not be able to self-diagnose and self-repair your car. I'm not talking about an oil change, flat tire, or even tune up and brakes, but serious work.

Of course it would work. If you were to study cars and acquire experience, you'd become a mechanic. How do you think mechanics become mechanics?

Maybe you could even become your own pope!
(10-30-2012, 09:40 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote:
(10-30-2012, 09:39 PM)anamchara Wrote: Talk about self-medication. Queen Victoria smoked marijuana for her menstrual cramps, according to NORML.

She was a prot!

My point precisely. She was a Victorian Prot. The Victorian Prot moral code for intoxicants was *stricter* than the Church's.
Pot is a lot different than it was 20 years ago. It's not shwag brick weed anymore. Most weed is highly concentrated strains now.

If you don't think it's a mortal sin, ask a traditional priest.
(10-30-2012, 09:44 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote:
(10-30-2012, 09:13 PM)anamchara Wrote: Here in Michigan, marijuana is legal with a doctor's prescription. In general, I don't trust doctors. I prefer to self-diagnose and self-medicate.

I see nothing immoral about self-medicating with marijuana. I don't see anything immoral in moderate marijuana use for any reason.

I can understand your distrust of the medical profession, but if we applied this line of thinking to other things, it would not work. For example, with cars, apart from basic operations, you would not be able to self-diagnose and self-repair your car. I'm not talking about an oil change, flat tire, or even tune up and brakes, but serious work.

Of course it would work. If you were to study cars and acquire experience, you'd become a mechanic. How do you think mechanics become mechanics?

That's a shoddy analogy. Anybody *can* become a mechanic. Only the Bishop of Rome is pope.
(10-30-2012, 09:45 PM)Atomagenesis Wrote: Pot is a lot different than it was 20 years ago. It's not shwag brick weed anymore. Most weed is highly concentrated strains now.

If you don't think it's a mortal sin, ask a traditional priest.

I suppose it depends on your preference.  The folks I know who smoke prefer "Mexican Dirt Weed"  to any hydro or clone.  They smoke for the pure enjoyment of it rather than to get 'as stoned as possible'.  In fact they will buy the dirt weed before any highly concentrated strain because the effects of smoking something that potent ruin it for them. (I work at a ren faire, I know many many people who smoke)

ETA: It's like alcohol for me I suppose.  I much prefer shiner to any quadruple bock, because I can't drink a whole bottle of the bock, but I can have two or three shiners.  I loath the feeling of being drunk.
Well I know people who do meth and heroine and pop pills for enjoyment, does that make it ok? I mean hey... if I do just a small line of cocaine, and I enjoy it... it must be ok.

All the people I know who smoke weed don't go to mass. Some of them are Catholics. I have never met a practicing Catholic who smokes marijuana.
(10-30-2012, 09:46 PM)anamchara Wrote:
(10-30-2012, 09:44 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote:

That's a shoddy analogy. Anybody *can* become a mechanic. Only the Bishop of Rome is pope.

I meant your own religious authority.
(10-30-2012, 09:50 PM)Atomagenesis Wrote: Well I know people who do meth and heroine and pop pills for enjoyment, does that make it ok? I mean hey... if I do just a small line of cocaine, and I enjoy it... it must be ok.

All the people I know who smoke weed don't go to mass. Some of them are Catholics. I have never met a practicing Catholic who smokes marijuana.
I know three.
My point isn't about the idea that "if I enjoy it it's ok", but the point of the consuming the substance in the first place.  Am I drinking to get drunk or am I drinking because I like the taste of a beer?  If I'm drinking to get drunk, I assume that is a sin.  I don't know anybody who enjoys cocaine for it's self, but rather enjoys the high.  Frankly, the stuff is nasty, I can't even *imagine* a person enjoying coke on it's on merits rather than it's intoxicating effects.  (I've done coke precisely twice, many many years ago before I converted to Catholicism)
I do, in fact, know people who enjoy a joint because it tastes good.  They like the smell, they like the taste, kind of like a person enjoys a turkish tobacco cigaret and a nic fitter will smoke tobacco flavored paper (a common ingredient in low quality cigarettes) to get a nic buzz.

Since there are many pedophile priests do you not trust priests? Do you give yourself absolution or confect the Blessed Sacrament yourself?

(10-30-2012, 09:58 PM)knittycat Wrote: I know three.

Well, if they trust you, you can tell them what the Church teaches on this, and hopefully they'll listen.  You have to be convinced first, though.