Isolated, what to do?
(11-01-2012, 10:55 PM)Adeodatus01 Wrote:
(11-01-2012, 10:06 PM)Aragon Wrote: Is it possible for you to move sometime in the future?

I was just gonna ask that. Can you relocate? Obviously that opens up the options considerably.

Yeah, I can't imagine not having a community of people who share my beliefs and values. This secular world is too tough for us to go it alone.
We hope to move in the near future.  But it will be further out into the country to tell you the truth.  The social isolation isn't too bad, but the spiritual isolation is what's killing me right now.  I *NEED* a traditionally minded priest to talk to.  Friends to commiserate with and vent to would be nice, sure, but it's the lack of spiritual direction that is making me feel so blue.
(11-02-2012, 12:27 AM)knittycat Wrote: We hope to move in the near future.   But it will be further out into the country to tell you the truth.  The social isolation isn't too bad, but the spiritual isolation is what's killing me right now.   I *NEED* a traditionally minded priest to talk to.  Friends to commiserate with and vent to would be nice, sure, but it's the lack of spiritual direction that is making me feel so blue.

Perhaps you could contact a priest and explain your situation. They may be willing to give you spiritual direction via telephone.
(11-02-2012, 12:27 AM)knittycat Wrote: We hope to move in the near future.   But it will be further out into the country to tell you the truth.  The social isolation isn't too bad, but the spiritual isolation is what's killing me right now.   I *NEED* a traditionally minded priest to talk to.  Friends to commiserate with and vent to would be nice, sure, but it's the lack of spiritual direction that is making me feel so blue.

What on earth? Your soul is the most important thing! Move near a traditional chapel!
first off your search for good council may be too narrow in scope. Does it absoulutly have to be sspx or nothing. God uses many means to bring us solice and restore hope. There are NO...or eastern rite priests who give good council. Have you looked up any local monastarys. Have you considered saveing your pennys for a once a month trip where you can get good council? Dont forget God is everywhere. Your options are not as limited as the evil one wants you to belive. One final suggestion...go volunteer to bring meals to shut ins.
(11-02-2012, 12:36 AM)TraditionalistThomas Wrote:

What on earth? Your soul is the most important thing! Move near a traditional chapel!

This is easier said than done.
(11-01-2012, 08:33 PM)knittycat Wrote: The closest traditional chapel I have is an SSPX 70+ miles away.

There is a family that attends our chapel, St. Jude's in Eddystone, PA (just south of Philadelphia) who come from Brick, NJ, which is precisely that distance (just over 70 miles).  They have come every Sunday for years and have even come early and stayed late because their daughter, and now their young son, played the organ.  It's about a 90 minute drive, but they do it.  You can, too.  I realize that gas is expensive, but maybe you can adjust your budget.  An alternative to driving yourself is to find out from the priest assigned to the chapel nearest you if there are members of the parish from your area.  You might be able to carpool.

This is feasible, Knittycat!
(11-02-2012, 03:56 AM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote:
first off your search for good council may be too narrow in scope. Does it absoulutly have to be sspx or nothing. God uses many means to bring us solice and restore hope. There are NO...or eastern rite priests who give good council. Have you looked up any local monastarys. Have you considered saveing your pennys for a once a month trip where you can get good council? Dont forget God is everywhere. Your options are not as limited as the evil one wants you to belive. One final suggestion...go volunteer to bring meals to shut ins.

SSPX is just the closest.  Serously. I have looked.
While I think your situation stinks, what a gift that was given to you.  Many saints went years in similar situations.  It is a great opportunity for penance and to suffer with Christ on the cross.  I would definitely pick up the very short but extremely powerful book by St. Alphonsus called, "Uniformity with God's Will".  This will help immensely, as would many other books.

Suffer through the NO Mass (think of it as "Good Friday"), pray the rosary the whole time, and offer it up as penance.  Once a month, make the trip to the SSPX chapel so you can go to a TLM as well as see a confessor (think of it as your "Easter Sunday").

You have been given a great opportunity to grow in holiness.

Knittycat,

I am sure that this will work out if you follow the advice posted here - particularly about finding a good priest who would be willing to chat with you via email or phone.  While the closest chapel may be 70 miles away, there may be some like-minded people closer than that.  You might be able to make connections that way.  How about petitioning for a TLM near you?  Have you tried this before?

HUGS and prayers,
Fontevrault