Eucharist: Twice in one day
(11-02-2012, 02:08 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(11-02-2012, 01:33 PM)Richard C Wrote:
(11-02-2012, 11:27 AM)moneil Wrote:
(11-02-2012, 10:52 AM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: It does not matter what kind of liturgy. You can go to the 'same' Mass at a different Church, or same Church, and receive Communion a second time. Though why would you? That's another question. 

I can think of a couple of reasons:  One attends the regular daily Mass at their parish and later in the day they attend a Requiem or Nuptial Mass.  

That's how my wife and I understood it. We got married on a First Saturday so we went to a First Saturday TLM in the morning, and our nuptial TLM in the afternoon and received Holy Communion both times. Father said it was okay.

That sounds fine of course: a good reason to receive is that your in the state of grace and it's your nuptial Mass!

But you also could have not received at the first Mass, the reception of Holy Communion on a first Saturday 'counts' even if it's a different liturgy. This is obviously the case when a feast supercedes the usual First Saturday liturgy.

Of course nothing you did is wrong, and I don't want to tell others what to do. I am just one of those people who doesn't receive Communion even every Sunday, even if I'm in the state of grace. I try to receive if I'm (a) in the State of Grace, (b) have fasted (from midnight), © have made appropriate preparation before Mass, (d) have confessed recently, and (e) haven't received in the last few days.

I accept the teaching that daily Communion is beneficial, but I don't think I'm in the state where it would benefit me. I think it would make the Eucharist seem commonplace, whereas rarer reception helps me to deepen my devotion. In the future I may receive more often, but I don't think I'm ready.

I think Our Lord calls each of us to a different kind of spirituality, so long as we're in conformity with the teaching of His Church (I'm male btw! - one of the previous posters was confused as to my gender).

Personally, frequent communion has been a real cornerstone of my relationship with Christ, deepening and flourishing since I first rediscovered Him. In fact, it is one of the major reasons (along with confession) I came back to the Church.

I don't think I could ever feel that the miracle of the mass were "commonplace" - there's just something so wonderful about it. I'm including a picture of the service - I know some of you get uppity about vestments, but this is a Baroque church (not "Baroque style") and yep, it was a reverent NO, in the vernacular of this country (Maltese).

It's been a blessed night, praying for the holy souls and our dear departed. I hope you've all had similar experiences over the past feast days.

[Image: 9pubye.jpg]
"One who has received the blessed Eucharist may receive it again on the same day only within a eucharistic celebration in which that person participates, without prejudice to the provision of can. 921 §2." (Canon Law # 917) [dealing with sick people]
(11-02-2012, 03:12 PM)Old Salt Wrote: "One who has received the blessed Eucharist may receive it again on the same day only within a eucharistic celebration in which that person participates, without prejudice to the provision of can. 921 §2." (Canon Law # 917) [dealing with sick people]

This has already been explicated, and I've spoken to my spiritual director. But it has been interesting to hear you all comment on canon law! Thanks for the responses.
(11-02-2012, 02:08 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: That sounds fine of course: a good reason to receive is that your in the state of grace and it's your nuptial Mass!

But you also could have not received at the first Mass, the reception of Holy Communion on a first Saturday 'counts' even if it's a different liturgy. This is obviously the case when a feast supercedes the usual First Saturday liturgy.

Of course nothing you did is wrong, and I don't want to tell others what to do. I am just one of those people who doesn't receive Communion even every Sunday, even if I'm in the state of grace. I try to receive if I'm (a) in the State of Grace, (b) have fasted (from midnight), © have made appropriate preparation before Mass, (d) have confessed recently, and (e) haven't received in the last few days.

I accept the teaching that daily Communion is beneficial, but I don't think I'm in the state where it would benefit me. I think it would make the Eucharist seem commonplace, whereas rarer reception helps me to deepen my devotion. In the future I may receive more often, but I don't think I'm ready.

NYC, I agree with you and follow the same disciplines.  Given our fallen human nature the Church has always, IMHO, experienced some extremes in Her history.  The "Easter Duty" (along with tabernacles on the main altar and Benediction), in my understanding, were introduced because the lay faithul weren't going to Communion.  After VII the pendulem swung way, way far the other direction where everyone was expected to come forward for the "Jesus Happy Meal".  I confess that I was caught up with that thought for awhile myself.  Today, even though I might technically be in a "state of grace" if I'm not feeling properly disposed, prepared, fasted I find it much more spiritually beneficial to remain in the pew and to make a spiritual Holy Communion.
*tried uploading other picture but it seems to be in no mood to work*

Although I don't want to appear like I'm defending the idea of frequent reception (though basically I am!) I will say that:
Obviously, I never receive unless I am in a state of grace (weekly confession no matter what),
have fasted (I usually only eat a small breakfast in the morning, and dinner after mass in the evening)
and prepared myself beforehand as best I know (we usually have holy hour and the rosary right before mass here, and I enjoy attending that for example).
(11-02-2012, 03:25 PM)loggats Wrote: *tried uploading other picture but it seems to be in no mood to work*

Although I don't want to appear like I'm defending the idea of frequent reception (though basically I am!) I will say that:
Obviously, I never receive unless I am in a state of grace (weekly confession no matter what),
have fasted (I usually only eat a small breakfast in the morning, and dinner after mass in the evening)
and prepared myself beforehand as best I know (we usually have holy hour and the rosary right before mass here, and I enjoy attending that for example).

Since the Church has officially encouraged daily Communion and you are obviously taking it seriously (worthy reception), I wouldn't worry. But if you planning to receive twice daily regularly, even if you are properly disposed, I wonder if you should ask a priest first?

You're technically within the law, but the law (by commentary and the way it's applied) seems to suggest an occasional thing like a nuptial Mass or funeral.

Overal, I think you're example is edifying and I don't want to come across as critical or wary -- you seem to be an example of how to properly prepare and live to receive Communion daily.
I am doing a poll related to this topic.http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...682.0.html
from the code of canon law # 917 "A person who has already recieved the Most Holy Eucharist can recieve it a second time on the same day only within the eucharistic celebration in which the person participates."
Smile Smile Smile