Cardinal: Vatican-SSPX talks do not signal toleration of anti-Judaism
Quote:KOCH-SSPX Nov-8-2012 (500 words) With photos. xxxi

Cardinal: Vatican-SSPX talks do not signal toleration of anti-Judaism

Cardinal Koch (CNS file/Paul Haring)

By Cindy Wooden
Catholic News Service

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- The effort to reintegrate the traditionalist Society of St. Pius X into the Catholic Church "absolutely does not mean" that the Catholic Church will accept or support the anti-Jewish or anti-Semitic positions espoused by some members of the society, said Cardinal Kurt Koch.

The cardinal, president of the Pontifical Commission for Religious Relations with the Jews, said many Jews "fear that through the eventual reintegration of a series of priests and faithful with anti-Jewish tendencies and who fundamentally reject 'Nostra Aetate,'" the Second Vatican Council document on relations with Jews and with other religions, "the Catholic Church could give a new direction to its dialogue with Judaism."

Addressing members of the commission, which oversees and promotes a variety of Vatican dialogues with Jews, Cardinal Koch said, "The Holy Father has charged me with presenting the question in the correct way: 'Nostra Aetate' is not being questioned in any way by the magisterium of the church as the pope himself has demonstrated repeatedly in his speeches, his writings and his personal gestures regarding Judaism."

"The Catholic Church is moving firmly on the basis of the principles affirmed in 'Nostra Aetate,'" and Pope Benedict XVI intends to continue the church's dialogue with the Jewish people, the cardinal said in his speech, which was published Nov. 7 in L'Osservatore Romano, the Vatican newspaper.

"Nostra Aetate" described Christians and Jews as having a common heritage and a profound spiritual bond; it denounced any form of contempt of the Jews; it said the Jews could not be held responsible for the death of Jesus; and "it explicitly highlighted the Jewish roots of Christianity," Cardinal Koch said.

In discussions about the SSPX and the Second Vatican Council, the cardinal said, questions also have been raised about the level of teaching authority in various council documents; the idea has been raised that because "Nostra Aetate" was a declaration and not a constitution, its content has less weight.

"On a formal level, a distinction certainly can be made" between the council's declarations and constitutions, he said. "Nevertheless, from the point of view of their content, they cannot be separated from each other or placed in opposition to each other."

"Nostra Aetate," he said, was not "an isolated meteorite that fell from heaven," but it flowed from the other teachings of the council, particularly the council's reflections on the mystery of the church.

Cardinal Koch said Pope Benedict's full support of the teaching on Judaism adopted by the council was evident even before the council began meeting in 1962. As a student of the Scriptures, the then-Joseph Ratzinger had "a considerable familiarity with Judaism," he said.

"The foundation of the vision of Ratzinger the theologian is that holy Scripture can be understood only as one book," in which the history of salvation begins with God's covenant with the Jewish people, he said. "In the light of these theological convictions, one cannot be surprised that Pope Benedict is continuing the work of reconciliation begun by his predecessors in Jewish-Catholic dialogue."

END
(source)
Yes, we must not let the SSPX sever the strong spiritual bond between the Vatican and the Jews.

More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
...I wish they would issue these caveats consistently.  It might be reassuring to hear that flirting with false religions does not signal the toleration of heresy (for starters).

Instead, we get this nonsense.
(11-08-2012, 07:02 PM)Pheo Wrote: ...I wish they would issue these caveats consistently.  It might be reassuring to hear that flirting with false religions does not signal the toleration of heresy (for starters).

Instead, we get this nonsense.

The Anti-Semitism boogeyman is far far worse than any doctrinal issues a la Frs. McBrien or Reese....
Isn't this the same Cardinal that doesn't believe in the virgin birth, the bodily Resurrection and most other Catholic beliefs? The heretic the Pope appointed head of the CDF? If so Why should anyone give a rip what he says. He is a total apostate.
Why does Judaism always come up in these discussions? The main talking points are religious liberty, ecumenism, and the New Mass. I don't think the Society has an official position on the Jews, other than that the old covenant is no longer valid.
SSPX = antisemites in the popular imagination (so far as mainstream media is concerned)

The Vatican has millions of peoples lives to consider. The world is a mess and the Pope has to be extra cautious, with enemies at every door. We live in an anti-Christian world, and sometimes reading some of your comments, I don't think most of you understand just how dangerous it would be for the Pope and the Roman curia to pretend otherwise and just get on with internal matters as though the enemy didn't have eyes all over, just waiting for another slip up (poor Williamson).
Based on the men he and his immediate predecessors have named to high positions, it's hard to take the above seriously.
Yep, cos it's all cut and dry and easy to decipher - thank goodness you're right, and Rome is wrong.

Meh.
(11-08-2012, 07:08 PM)The Dying Flutchman Wrote: Isn't this the same Cardinal that doesn't believe in the virgin birth, the bodily Resurrection and most other Catholic beliefs? The heretic the Pope appointed head of the CDF? If so Why should anyone give a rip what he says. He is a total apostate.
No, that's Card. Müller. This is Card. Koch.