Cardinal: Vatican-SSPX talks do not signal toleration of anti-Judaism
Anti-Judaism is different from anti-semitism. The Church adheres to anti-Judaism, just as it is anti-Islamism, or anti-Mormonism, or anti-Scientologyism.

She does have exclusivity, in spite of what the modern world thinks.
(11-08-2012, 07:19 PM)loggats Wrote: The Vatican has millions of peoples lives to consider. The world is a mess and the Pope has to be extra cautious, with enemies at every door. We live in an anti-Christian world, and sometimes reading some of your comments, I don't think most of you understand just how dangerous it would be for the Pope and the Roman curia to pretend otherwise and just get on with internal matters as though the enemy didn't have eyes all over, just waiting for another slip up (poor Williamson).
When didn't we live in an anti-Christian world? The Church has constantly been fraught by other religions. That didn't stop popes from boldly condemning their errors.
(11-08-2012, 07:19 PM)loggats Wrote: SSPX = antisemites in the popular imagination (so far as mainstream media is concerned)

The Vatican has millions of peoples lives to consider. The world is a mess and the Pope has to be extra cautious, with enemies at every door. We live in an anti-Christian world, and sometimes reading some of your comments, I don't think most of you understand just how dangerous it would be for the Pope and the Roman curia to pretend otherwise and just get on with internal matters as though the enemy didn't have eyes all over, just waiting for another slip up (poor Williamson).

What do you mean?
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
Since when is the SSPX "anti-Jewish" per se? +Williamson generated controversy, surely, but he is NOT the Society. Nor, as far as I have read, was the Society founded on this issue at all or even in part. That's a canard introduced on the Society by non-Catholics because +Williamson not exercising prudence and it got out of control once it left his mouth.

Abp. Lefebvre's writings have been a great bastion of learning the Faith for me, just as non-SSPX clerics and writers have. I think he'd be disgusted that the issue has been so convoluted. And while I do not support the Society in an overt or explicit manner, there ARE things that need to be unequivocally and unambiguously defined from the Second Vatican Council. I often wonder if the issue of paradoxical language in a manner wishing to clarify previous doctrine was the best idea. The Holy Spirit guarantees not to lead into error, not that the language used by the writers will be the most clear to everyone everywhere. Look at Sacred Scripture. It takes the Church to interpret it properly. It takes Tradition. Even non-SSPX Traditional Catholics, myself included, are often absolutely frustrated by the ambiguity-- even in light of Tradition.

But at the end of the day, the SSPX is not an "anti-Jewish" Society, nor were the Apostles for sans-Christ Judaism post-Christ's Ascension. I suppose the nuance rests somewhere between the third Glorious mystery, Acts 5, and all the doctrine put forth into fruition from the seed planted by Christ to the documents of Vatican II.

(11-08-2012, 07:49 PM)SMKMI Wrote: Since when is the SSPX "anti-Jewish" per se?
ADL thinks so and has lots of evidence to back it up.
Not only did we have the unfortunate comments on Swedish TV, we had the Protocols of the Elders of Zion knock-off document on the US SSPX website for a time. It gives a bad impression.

Plus, you have to cut outsiders some slack. "How do I know if this organization is just an intelligent minority with a strong viewpoint, or a bunch of nutty whack jobs? I will look to see if there are any screeds." Then they see a screed about Jewish bankers using the profits of usury to finance world communism so that they can destroy Christianity because they are a carnal race. I'm afraid I just can't blame anyone for backing off at that point. They're just trying to exercise common sense, which is a good thing.

Impressions are important. Especially if you're in the saving souls business.

Note that I'm not saying that the SSPX is anti-Semitic as an organization. But you have to be careful about what sort of image you put forward. And the Internet multiplies that by like a billion.
(11-08-2012, 07:22 PM)loggats Wrote: Yep, cos it's all cut and dry and easy to decipher - thank goodness you're right, and Rome is wrong.

Meh.

Notice how one idiot Cardinal becomes "Rome"?  When people point out his idiocy?  This is a nice little bait and switch tactic that sycophants for the corruption use. 

(11-08-2012, 07:19 PM)loggats Wrote: SSPX = antisemites in the popular imagination (so far as mainstream media is concerned)

The Vatican has millions of peoples lives to consider. The world is a mess and the Pope has to be extra cautious, with enemies at every door. We live in an anti-Christian world, and sometimes reading some of your comments, I don't think most of you understand just how dangerous it would be for the Pope and the Roman curia to pretend otherwise and just get on with internal matters as though the enemy didn't have eyes all over, just waiting for another slip up (poor Williamson).

Oh for the sweet, simple days when Pius XII was Pope and could speak freely without fear.  The Pope COULD actually write a clear encyclical on "anti-semitism" and distinguish racial hatred from religioius error from cultural cooperation and conflict.  He could knock the legs right out from under the liberal jewish organizations that are virulently anti-Catholic.
Quote: Since when is the SSPX "anti-Jewish" per se?

I should hope every Catholic is anti-Jewish (as opposed to anti-semitic).  It is interesting that the Vatican has caught on and now denounces anti-judaism, which is heretical on their part.  The jewish talmud religion is a false religion that drags millions to hell.  Every Catholic should be opposed to false religions, just as we should oppose islam and hinduism.  They are false religions that drag their followers to hell.
(11-08-2012, 08:23 PM)Adeodatus01 Wrote: I will look to see if there are any screeds." Then they see a screed about Jewish bankers using the profits of usury to finance world communism so that they can destroy Christianity because they are a carnal race. I'm afraid I just can't blame anyone for backing off at that point. They're just trying to exercise common sense, which is a good thing.

Why is that so hard to believe?

Maybe the nutty whack-job is the one staring back at you in the mirror.