Psychiatric Drugs: Prescription for Madness
Quote: What's worse, alot of the issues are simply due to poor parenting, and when one doctor won't medicate the child into quiet apathy, the parents will shop around until they find a doctor that will.

Or convience for the schools.  "Gee, Johnny doesn't sit perfectly still in his chair for 8 hours a day?  He must have ADD". 

I read somewhere that school teachers are the major ones who refer a child for ADHD treatment. 

The role of the pediatrican has really expanded beyond what is reasonable.  Parents come to their doctor for feeding schedule advice, potty training, discipline, sleeping habits, etc.  Granted, each one of those can actually signal a problem (a newborn who won't wake up to eat, a 5 year old who stops being potty trained), but it's really ridiculous how they have became the all-wise parenting sage
fiatvoluntastua Wrote:  The role of the pediatrican has really expanded beyond what is reasonable.  Parents come to their doctor for feeding schedule advice, potty training, discipline, sleeping habits, etc.  Granted, each one of those can actually signal a problem (a newborn who won't wake up to eat, a 5 year old who stops being potty trained), but it's really ridiculous how they have became the all-wise parenting sage

Hence the increased popularity of alternative remedies.

Really, Sara. Choose a platform. You ranted against my opinion about alternative medicine, then posted a link that encompasses the extreme alternative; experimental medicine. Now, pediatricians have exceeded their bounds.

Get a grip.

I was misdiagnosed as a child with epilepsy (in actuality I have a sleeping disorder). Though not psychiatric in nature, we're talking about medicine so I think it's revelevant. I was on medication that literally sapped all of the life out of me, while I thought, and was told, it was helping me. This went on throughout much of gradeschool until the end of high school. I never had close friends because I was too tired to socialize, and this has had a lasting effect--to this day I have problems talking and meeting with people because I never developed these skills as a child. I never developed proper study habits; I never had a girlfriend; I didn't even go to the prom, because a week earlier I had attempted to kill myself, because my entire life was miserable. At the mental hospital (where one goes after attempted suicides) that low life pill pusher gave me medication that increased my symptoms. I wanted to strangle him for leaving me in a bigger ditch I was in before, for not asking me about what caused my desire to end my life, for not caring about anything except getting to the next patient quickly so he can increase his fat paycheck.

I blaim most of it on the awful medications I was given. If you take medication that doesn't help you, and has awful side effect, and you begin this from childhood, you don't realize that it's not normal to have those side effects. You live life, as I did, thinking that everyone else feels like you do--miserable, awful, disconnected from the world. Since you're used to the side-effects, to not be able to conentrate on anything, to not study, to not talk even with your family, let alone anyone else, is normality. Or it becomes normality, it works into your brain after so many false diagnoses from the only human doctor.

All of this sounds awful, you might say, but isn't it true that I'm just an exception? Yes, but I believe this is common, more common than some realize. Looking back at my many visits to the neurologist, I don't think I was mentally able to adequately explain to him what was wrong. In fact this would be an impossible task, for not even I knew all of my symptoms. The neurologist interpreted the seizures (recorded at an EKG) at night as arising from a nocturnal seizure disorder, and the seizures at day a separate disorder in addition to the one at night. In actuality the irregular electrical activity in my brain was caused by the sleeping disorder, and the untreated disorder lead to problems during the day, which, when explained, seemed seizure-like to the neurologist. The point is that I was at an age where it would have been impossible to give the doctor the whole truth. By the time I reached high school (an age where I would have been able to) I had been told that I had a seizure disorder so many times that I didn't question it, I had a seizure disorder, I've always had it because the doctor said so.

All of us, me, my mother, my father, are happy that I'm not on 5 -7 different medications as I used to be. I am now on 1 medication, the one that helps me cope with narcolepsy (it can't be treated). Here are some of the comments I've been receiving after getting off all those meds, and I post them here to demonstrate just how harmful they were, and how much better I am now that I'm off them.

- You have lost weight.
- You look more energetic.
- You seem more talkative.
- You seem more dedicated.
- You look good.

Life feels a lot better now. My mother, when I was very little, knew that I'd have problems growing up, so she dedicated me to God. She said to God that I was in His hands, because she felt that she couldn't take care of me. Surely enough all my life I have been afflicted with disorders of all kinds, physical, mental, spiritual. These are the splinters from the Cross, I bore them at an early age. But God did not abandon me. I was chastised, but He was chastised the greatest. In truth I have no right to complain in His shadow. Providence willed that I suffer, so I suffered. Nevertheless, no one should have to suffer at the hands of man's inventions. My parents thought that modern medication solves everything, that the doctor always knows best. They have apologized to me several times for making these assumptions. I suggest no parent here make the same assumptions. These doctors can harm your children and all the while think that they're helping them.

Sorry for rambling. This is a very personal issue for me. In fact, most of the sorrows I've endured growing up stem from my misdiagnosis and infiltration of those hellish, brutal medications. Curse those damn medications!  I hate them.

Much of my post is hearsay, I realize this. I agree with miss_fluffy... it really struck a nerve. She is right on the mark, I completely agree.
Pat Wrote:Sorry for rambling. This is a very personal issue for me. In fact, most of the sorrows I've endured growing up stem from my misdiagnosis and infiltration of those hellish, brutal medications. Curse those damn medications!  I hate them.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Pat. And you were not rambling.

Thanks be to God that you are doing well. Surely it is because of your confidence in Him. I will pray for your continued improvement and a happy, healthy life.
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:
fiatvoluntastua Wrote:  The role of the pediatrican has really expanded beyond what is reasonable.  Parents come to their doctor for feeding schedule advice, potty training, discipline, sleeping habits, etc.  Granted, each one of those can actually signal a problem (a newborn who won't wake up to eat, a 5 year old who stops being potty trained), but it's really ridiculous how they have became the all-wise parenting sage

Really, Sara. Choose a platform. You ranted against my opinion about alternative medicine, then posted a link that encompasses the extreme alternative; experimental medicine. Now, pediatricians have exceeded their bounds.

Get a grip.

Well, that was uncalled for. :fish

I realize not everyone shares my opinion on alternative medicine, so I gave you something I had read about.  And what in the world does my thinking that my pediatrician has nothing to say about my sleeping arrangements have to do with my feelings on choosing to treat an ear infection with garlic oil instead of antibiotics (assumed necessary, of course, before I get a ton of links on the overuse of antibiotics).  Just because I have negative feelings towards alternative treatments doesn't mean I don't recognize that traditional medicine can be abused or doesn't have all the answers.  Your response goes in perfectly with that "goes to traditional doctor=dupe" thinking that you said you didn't hold to.

fiatvoluntastua Wrote:
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:

Get a grip.

Well, that was uncalled for. :fish

I realize not everyone shares my opinion on alternative medicine, so I gave you something I had read about.  And what in the world does my thinking that my pediatrician has nothing to say about my sleeping arrangements have to do with my feelings on choosing to treat an ear infection with garlic oil instead of antibiotics (assumed necessary, of course, before I get a ton of links on the overuse of antibiotics).  Just because I have negative feelings towards alternative treatments doesn't mean I don't recognize that traditional medicine can be abused or doesn't have all the answers.  Your response goes in perfectly with that "goes to traditional doctor=dupe" thinking that you said you didn't hold to.

Unfortunately, Sara, Kathy has a point. You are very vocal about your distaste for alternative medicine when the subject comes up, (it's your right, of course, to have that opinion) and about how we need to trust our doctors, etc, but then you switch gears and rant about how doctors have become the "new parents", so to speak. The two positions aren't really compatible, unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying....
JLeigh Wrote:Unfortunately, Sara, Kathy has a point. You are very vocal about your distaste for alternative medicine when the subject comes up, (it's your right, of course, to have that opinion) and about how we need to trust our doctors, etc, but then you switch gears and rant about how doctors have become the "new parents", so to speak. The two positions aren't really compatible, unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying....

That is the way I saw it. Perhaps we all misunderstand.
fiatvoluntastua Wrote: 
Your response goes in perfectly with that "goes to traditional doctor=dupe" thinking that you said you didn't hold to.

Please don't ascribe to me your assumptions. I happen to have a very good relationship with my family's doctor. We are friends. My daughter babysits for his daughter. I took Dominic to him today for an earache and found out that he has bronchitis, (no symptoms yet) too. I found out what bronchitis sounds like because Dr. Andy let me have a listen. I had two prescriptions filled on our way home. I am very glad to have averted a serious illness, but I still have garlic oil in my medicine cabinet. I don't use it anymore because it makes the kids smell like Caesar salads and hydrogen peroxide works just as well and is much cheaper. And even with two prescriptions, my doctor recommended using the peroxide, too. Sometimes things are simple, sometimes they are not, and sometimes they are both.

I think it is possible to find a comfortable balance between allopathic and naturopathic healthcare. I do not feel like a member of the "dupe" club for going to a regular old, been to med school, prescription writing doctor. There is no reason for you to feel that way, either. You are obviously intelligent enough to make informed decisions and I am sure you do just fine at it.

Back to the topic.