Opened an Etsy shop for my handmade Rosaries
good luck
Smile Smile Smile
Thanks for the compliments, Vox! I really don't like rosaries that look like toys, are blinged out, multi coloured to match a country's flag, or have been modernised with Mary going into labour on the centerpiece and Jesus trying to fly off the crucifix. I want to continue to create medieval/renaissance inspired rosaries. I also noticed that there aren't many options for men and they're forced to use ones with odd shaped, shiny beads.

So. If anyone has suggestions as to colour scheme, bead sizes, preference to bronze or silver metals that you'd like to see, please let me know. I'd like to incorporate your feedback into future rosaries.
(11-18-2012, 01:55 PM)MorganHiver Wrote: I also noticed that there aren't many options for men

I doesn't bother much praying with a rosary that looks girly. What bothers me is the small beads. I have big clumsy hands and its difficult to hold small beads. I bet women with arthritis could use larger bead rosaries too.
(11-18-2012, 01:55 PM)MorganHiver Wrote: Thanks for the compliments, Vox! I really don't like rosaries that look like toys, are blinged out, multi coloured to match a country's flag, or have been modernised with Mary going into labour on the centerpiece and Jesus trying to fly off the crucifix. I want to continue to create medieval/renaissance inspired rosaries. I also noticed that there aren't many options for men and they're forced to use ones with odd shaped, shiny beads.

So. If anyone has suggestions as to colour scheme, bead sizes, preference to bronze or silver metals that you'd like to see, please let me know. I'd like to incorporate your feedback into future rosaries.

I've been making Rosaries for some time now.  If it's medieval you're shooting for, you need to make tenners, or other string ones with a simple cross at one end and a silk tassel at the others.  The typical Rosary of today is alive decade, 59 bead Domincan Rosary with a drop.  Relatively speaking, that's kind of "new."
(11-16-2012, 08:37 PM)MorganHiver Wrote: I absolutely love making and praying the rosary and so I thought "why not make them for others?". I've seen many websites selling unattractive and very expensive rosaries and figured I could make much nicer ones that aren't as expensive. I only listed two for now, as Etsy charges for each item listed for sale. All rosaries have been or will be blessed by a priest before shipping, as I know some of the faithful are unable to leave home to do this themselves. Check out the link. Thanks!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/OLightInTheDark

They are lovely. I've seen the "skull" beads once before.........?the Lord's Prayer beads. Can you tell me is there is any special significance to these?
Larger beads, you say? Just how large do you like? I have been using 8mm Ave and 10mm Pater beads. I really would go smaller than 6mm Ave and 8mm Pater beads. The smaller the beads, they less GRANDEUR they look.

Memento Mori translates as "remember your mortality" or "remember you will die" or something like that. Skulls and bones are used in memento mori art, jewelry, rosaries and so on to remind us that everything on earth is temporary...to remind us how Christ suffered on the cross and died for us.
Making rosary beads is something I've been wanting to take up for a while.  How did you go about it?
I've been seeing these *OKAY* looking Rosary beads for years and always thought "WHY ARE THEY $200? I WISH I COULD CHANGE THE CRUCIFIX AND MAYBE THE COLOUR OF THE PATER BEADS AND MAYBE PAY HALF THAT PRICE". And so I did. Just bought my own supplies. It's no different than making a beaded necklace or earrings, as far as difficulty goes. I prefer to use jeweler's wire on all my rosaries, as it is VERY strong. As long as you closed off the wire properly it should never open. Just google "how to make a rosary" and you will find some interesting sites. You'll see that supplies can get pretty expensive. This is why I'm selling them for $90. I'm not making much of a profit at all and I know that sounds like rubbish but it's true. You can easily spend $20 on the crucifix and $20 on the centerpiece and then you have to purchase the beads...it adds up. 
Just bought the Memento Mori Rosary.  Can't wait to get it! 

It's great that you're making masculine-looking Rosaries that are also attractive.  These are hard to come by, unfortunately. 

May God prosper your handiwork!
Great looking rosaries!

One suggestion re etsy - maybe a few more photos of your beautiful work, on a neutral (white preferably) background? makes the detail easier to see! and potential buyers like getting as many angles/close-ups of the product as possible.

Hope to see more of your work soon.