Pope St Pius X explains what loving the Pope really entails.
(11-19-2012, 10:15 PM)TraditionalistThomas Wrote: Yes, that quote from Fr. Fortescue is quite rude.

Well, it was in a private letter; I doubt he would have expressed himself that way publicly. The general opposition to centralization is really what I wanted to point out, though.

(11-20-2012, 01:50 AM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote:
(11-19-2012, 08:59 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: Don't forget Fr. Adrian Fortescue:
Quote:Centralization grows and goes madder every century. Even at Trent they hardly foresaw this kind of thing. Does it really mean that one cannot be a member of the Church of Christ without being, as we are, absolutely at the mercy of an Italian Lunatic?

Here's the rest of his quote:
Quote:By the way are Martindale and Plater and Jalabert and those fellows going to take the oath? I suppose so. We are so well disciplined. Anyhow, I think, let us stick on as long as we possibly can and pray for the happy accession of Leo XIV. Otherwise it is the desert.

I think the fact that he said this during the reign of the last canonized pope, St. Pius X, to be quite telling.

Trads said some pretty outrageous things during the reign of the last beatified pope. Compared to some of their public rhetoric, Fr. Fortescue's private comments are quite mild. At any rate, the fact that Pius X would later be made a saint does not mean that everyone who criticized certain trends that were active at the time of his papacy was wrong. Some of us here believe Pius IX to be a blessed, but that does not mean that we have to approve of his claim to be tradition. Or, take Pope St. Celestine V. Someone who criticized certain of his policies as pope would not have been wrong in doing so.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pope St Pius X explains what loving the Pope really entails. - by Crusading Philologist - 11-20-2012, 02:15 AM