Pope St Pius X explains what loving the Pope really entails.
(11-20-2012, 11:51 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(11-20-2012, 11:27 AM)JoniCath Wrote:
(11-20-2012, 02:04 AM)Gerard Wrote:
(11-20-2012, 01:53 AM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: Yeah, but we aren't talking about that. We're talking about allegedly modernist popes, something that is an impossibility.

They are still men with free will.  They are not impeccable.  A Pope can hold a heresy.  What a Pope can't do is universally bind the Church to a heresy. 

Pope Benedict does not hold the same faith that I do.  He doesn't believe in original sin or Adam and Eve or anything Incarnational in the way I do. 

The demand for impeccability in the nature of the Pope is a romantic notion, nothing more.  It's unfortunate that people leave the Church or lose the faith or lose their common sense in order to maintain that notion.

The Church has NEVER called the Pope "impeccable" .  He is infallible in matters dealing with faith & morals when he makes an "ex-cathedra" statement.

What?  How is that even relevant?

Besides, there's only been two ex-cathedra statements, and neither of them have to do with Jesus being God or the Holy Trinity.  There's far more to the faith than the very rare instances of ex-cathedra. 

But if we look at e.g. Vatican II, all of its documents end with this authoritative language:
Quote:Each and every one of the things set forth in this Decree has won the consent of the fathers. We, too, by the Apostolic Authority conferred on us by Christ, join with the venerable fathers in approving, decreeing, and establishing these things in the Holy Spirit, and we direct that what has thus been enacted in synod [council] be published to God’s glory... I, Paul, Bishop of the Catholic Church

Everything, from Lumen Gentium to Nostra Ætate to D.H. ended thusly. 

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pope St Pius X explains what loving the Pope really entails. - by Phillipus Iacobus - 11-20-2012, 01:02 PM