Pope St Pius X explains what loving the Pope really entails.
I think you are bringing up excellent points, Scotus. In citing the Gratian Decree as well as Pope Paul IV, one can see the same exhortation St. Paul made to the Galatians:
Epistle to the Galatians, 1:6-9 Wrote:I wonder that you are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ, unto another gospel. Which is not another, only there are some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach a gospel to you besides that which we have preached to you, let him be anathema. As we said before, so now I say again: If any one preach to you a gospel, besides that which you have received, let him be anathema.

Note that St. Paul repeats himself in the grave duty the faithful have in rejecting any doctrinal contradiction anyone, even St. Paul (authorities) or an angel himself might attempt to impose.

Let's note, however, that Pius X was speaking of the Roman Pontiff, not a rogue priest (Luther) or even a rogue bishop (Cranmer, et al). I do not think that St. Pius X would have thought it ever possible that one would even have to entertain such a notion, considering that the See of Peter cannot ever be in error, but such a discussion as it applies to our present times is beyond the scope of this thread.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pope St Pius X explains what loving the Pope really entails. - by Phillipus Iacobus - 11-20-2012, 05:19 PM