Pope St Pius X explains what loving the Pope really entails.
(11-20-2012, 05:19 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: Let's note, however, that Pius X was speaking of the Roman Pontiff, not a rogue priest (Luther) or even a rogue bishop (Cranmer, et al). I do not think that St. Pius X would have thought it ever possible that one would even have to entertain such a notion, considering that the See of Peter cannot ever be in error, but such a discussion as it applies to our present times is beyond the scope of this thread.

I don't know. Even assuming that Pius X's statement can be reconciled with the teaching of Pope Paul on this issue, I think we have to acknowledge that many people in the 19th and 20th centuries had a somewhat inadequate view of the papacy in certain respects. The solution to our current troubles is not simply to turn the clock back to those times in the hope that somehow the same exact thing would not happen again, but instead to understand and resolve the misunderstandings that caused things to happen as they did. 

(11-20-2012, 05:46 PM)Scotus Wrote: I'm afraid that, again, that old rascal William of Ockam contributed to this by his denial of universals. Just as we must do something not because of its intrinsic goodness but because God commands it, so also we must believe something not because of its truth but because God commands it.

Good point. I think it is important to remember that many modern theological and philosophical problems have their roots in issues going back to the Middle Ages. Although he is not entirely unproblematic, the theologian John Milbank once put the issue in interesting terms:
Quote:we still live within a Franciscan Middle Ages, and this can be shown to be as true of our politics as it is of our philosophy. The question is whether an alternative, Dominican Middle Ages can yet be revived in order to shape, in the 21st Century, an alternative modernity.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pope St Pius X explains what loving the Pope really entails. - by Crusading Philologist - 11-20-2012, 06:29 PM