Pope St Pius X explains what loving the Pope really entails.
(11-20-2012, 06:29 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: Good point. I think it is important to remember that many modern theological and philosophical problems have their roots in issues going back to the Middle Ages.

I think we can trace a thread back through the arguments of the Islamic philosophers, which spilled over into the Catholic Schools, about whether faith is knowledge or obedience, back to the dilemma described by Plato in the Euthyphro: "Is a thing pious because the gods love it or do the gods love it because it is pious?" Well, that's the Hellenic thread, at any rate.

If faith is no more than obedience to a command from a superior, in this case God Revealing, then might not that species of belief which is owed to the non-infallible teachings of the authentic magisterium, viz. religious assent, be equally something to be commanded by the magisterium qua subject? I do not attend a chapel of the SSPX but I was struck by what Fr Matthias Gaudron said regarding relations with the Vatican: "We submit a problem and one answers us with pretexts or with appeals to obedience". There seems to be an implicit assumption that the will is what is primary in man and not the intellect. But, then, is the SSPX itself entirely free of that attitude?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pope St Pius X explains what loving the Pope really entails. - by Scotus - 11-20-2012, 07:15 PM