November 20th
(11-20-2012, 09:41 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: I'll admit that a lot of these right wing governments cared more about being right wing and maintaining military power rather than being Catholic, but all of that is now gone.

The authoritarian  Franco, Salazar and Dolffuss regimes actually promoted Catholicism in their respective nations actively.  In 1935, Salazar, a former seminarian,  forbade Freemasonry in Portugal. In Salarzarist Portugal and Francoist Spain, Catholic education at the hands of priests was encouraged even in the state/ secular schools. During the 1950s, Franco's Spain, the top professorships could only be held by Opus Dei priests. Salazar and Franco made it a priority to ban abortion, contraception and divorce in their own nations. It was ironic that the situation in Spain went downhill after Franco ceded power to a monarch, just before he died. These regimes were not perfect, but I would much rather  live under a Franco or Salazar  than this  madness of liberalism, secularism and feminism that we have today. 
Quote:In 1935, Salazar, a former seminarian, forbade Freemasonry in Portugal.

I didn't know that. Engelbert Dolfuß was also an ex-seminarian. Unfortunately, Herr Hitler and his Nazi Party took him out to annex Austria.
(11-22-2012, 01:39 AM)Christknight104 Wrote:
(11-20-2012, 09:41 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: I'll admit that a lot of these right wing governments cared more about being right wing and maintaining military power rather than being Catholic, but all of that is now gone.

The authoritarian  Franco, Salazar and Dolffuss regimes actually promoted Catholicism in their respective nations actively.  In 1935, Salazar, a former seminarian,  forbade Freemasonry in Portugal. In Salarzarist Portugal and Francoist Spain, Catholic education at the hands of priests was encouraged even in the state/ secular schools. During the 1950s, Franco's Spain, the top professorships could only be held by Opus Dei priests. Salazar and Franco made it a priority to ban abortion, contraception and divorce in their own nations. It was ironic that the situation in Spain went downhill after Franco ceded power to a monarch, just before he died. These regimes were not perfect, but I would much rather  live under a Franco or Salazar  than this  madness of liberalism, secularism and feminism that we have today. 
:w2go: :amen:
(11-22-2012, 02:26 AM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote:
Quote:In 1935, Salazar, a former seminarian, forbade Freemasonry in Portugal.

I didn't know that. Engelbert Dolfuß was also an ex-seminarian. Unfortunately, Herr Hitler and his Nazi Party took him out to annex Austria.

And sadder yet is that most Austrians were OK with this.