Food Stamps
We live in the richest country on the planet. Among our 'problems' is the situation that so many people want to come live and work here that we don't allow everybody in who wants to come here. One of our biggest health problems is obesity, that condition we get from eating too much. Yet I know that there have been people who have woken up with hungry children in the house, no food in the kitchen, and no money to get any food.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/mayor...ction.html
(11-21-2012, 02:55 AM)Poche Wrote: We live in the richest country on the planet. Among our 'problems' is the situation that so many people want to come live and work here that we don't allow everybody in who wants to come here.

For good reason...

Quote:One of our biggest health problems is obesity, that condition we get from eating too much.

And whose fault is that?

Quote:Yet I know that there have been people who have woken up with hungry children in the house, no food in the kitchen, and no money to get any food.

I have not experienced that, but then again in the neighborhood I live in a lot of minority kids get food stamps.

(11-21-2012, 02:55 AM)Poche Wrote: Among our 'problems' is the situation that so many people want to come live and work here that we don't allow everybody in who wants to come here.

Everybody?  That's not a 'problem.'
We have many liberal activists who encourage multi-generational dependence on things such as food stamps that were intended as TEMPORARY assistance in times of need. Earlier this year in the GOP primaries Newt Gingrich called Barack 0bama the 'food stamp president' and was called a racist for it. But listen to Jesse Jackson talking about food stamps in this clip from Peter Schiffs' show...

It sounds like he's saying a prayer about food stamps when he talks about "undermining our moral authority". Schiffs' commentary is accurate.

Many historians have commented about civilizations going down the drain when the politicians buy votes with public treasury funds and this is a prime example
(11-21-2012, 03:19 AM)Traditional Guy Wrote: uote]Yet I know that there have been people who have woken up with hungry children in the house, no food in the kitchen, and no money to get any food.

I have not experienced that, but then again in the neighborhood I live in a lot of minority kids get food stamps.

[/quote]
I know people who have experienced that. When I was a child I remember my mother taking food out of our pantry to give to others who didn't have any food at their house. Sometimes if the food stamps they do recieve isn't enough they come to the St Vincent de Paul looking for just enough to get them through, then there are the people hwo make $1 too much to qualify for food stamps. In any event, we should, as a society, at a minimum be able to give every child at least one good meal a day.   
:) :) :)
Regrettably the United States cannot simply open the gates and let everyone in.  For one thing, where the heck are they going to work?  For another, how are all the kids going to be educated?
(11-22-2012, 05:33 PM)dark lancer Wrote: Regrettably the United States cannot simply open the gates and let everyone in.  For one thing, where the heck are they going to work?  For another, how are all the kids going to be educated?
Where there's a will there's a way.
:)
The head of Catholic Charities in DC recently experienced the struggle of low income families relying on food stamps, noting that Christian charity lends vital support  to those in need.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/p...with-poor/
Food stamps like any government program can be abused but, there are folks that need them and they should not have them taken away provided they are US citizens. But unless they have some medical/mental problem they need to look for work and in these times that is next to impossible, and will remain so, until we have a knew regime in Washington.
(11-21-2012, 02:55 AM)Poche Wrote:
Quote:One of our biggest health problems is obesity, that condition we get from eating too much.

And whose fault is that?

Quality food is expensive, it's so much cheaper to buy dollar menu hamburgers or mac and cheese than it is to by non-GMO veggies and hormone free meats. I see that having a lot to do with our health problems.

(edited to fix formatting)