Admonishing sinners
I have a question about practising this act of charity.  Is there a limit to who has the duty to admonish whom, or what kind of sins should be admonished? 

The only thing that's perfectly clear to me is that parents absolutely have the duty to admonish their children, at least until they leave home, and maybe to a lesser degree after.  But I've been told that younger people should never admonish people who are older, out of respect for their elders, and I've also been told there shouldn't be any limit.  I've also been told that no one has the right to admonish any child except their parents or other authorities.  I suppose it depends on the situation.

What do you think about these things?
(11-30-2012, 01:43 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: I have a question about practising this act of charity.  Is there a limit to who has the duty to admonish whom, or what kind of sins should be admonished? 

The only thing that's perfectly clear to me is that parents absolutely have the duty to admonish their children, at least until they leave home, and maybe to a lesser degree after.  But I've been told that younger people should never admonish people who are older, out of respect for their elders, and I've also been told there shouldn't be any limit.  I've also been told that no one has the right to admonish any child except their parents or other authorities.  I suppose it depends on the situation.

What do you think about these things?
I am glad you posted this, and I am interested in what others say. Off the top of my head, and I am no authority nor learned in these things, I find the idea that one may never admonish an elder or some other class of person troubling. I definitely believe in social convention and respect for elders and the structures of society; but the Faith comes first, right? I.e. the 1st Commandment is before the 4th Commandment for a reason.
Will it do good, as objectively judged as possible? Is it one's place? Will it lead to serious detriment to oneself or one's livelihood?

Not universal principles, but to be taken into account.
(11-30-2012, 02:10 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: Will it do good, as objectively judged as possible? Is it one's place? Will it lead to serious detriment to oneself or one's livelihood?

Intention is also important.  I sometimes think a lot of "admonishment" is actually an excuse to find fault and complain.
(11-30-2012, 03:05 PM)Pilgrim Wrote:
(11-30-2012, 02:10 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: Will it do good, as objectively judged as possible? Is it one's place? Will it lead to serious detriment to oneself or one's livelihood?

Intention is also important.  I sometimes think a lot of "admonishment" is actually an excuse to find fault and complain.

I agree.  Now, what is my place?  I'm the youngest in my family, and single.  I feel funny about correcting my parents, so I don't do it anymore, but I feel funny about that too.  I have a goddaughter, but I wasn't Catholic when I was chosen.  Her mother was not opposed to my evangelizing her until the first year she left home for college and started showing hostility to me.  I know this is very common.  I promised not to bring up the subject of Catholicism with her anymore, but I still send her about 2 or 3 e-mails a year about something I think she might find interesting.  What's my place with her?

And what's my place with my sisters' husbands?  As I said, I agree with the points already made.  I just don't know my place on these matters. 
I think you have to use prudence.
Smile
(11-30-2012, 03:05 PM)Pilgrim Wrote:

A good point.

Another good point.

In reply to the OP, I would think there ought to be a distinction between i) things which you know about but do not see or hear about first person; 2) things discussed in your presence; and 3) things which directly involve and/or affect you.
(12-01-2012, 11:44 AM)MRose Wrote: I would think there ought to be a distinction between i) things which you know about but do not see or hear about first person; 2) things discussed in your presence; and 3) things which directly involve and/or affect you.

Would you please elaborate?  All I'm able to understand of this is that in the 3rd instance I have more of a duty to admonish than in the 2nd or 1st.  Would you give me an example for the 1st and 2nd please?
(12-03-2012, 12:29 AM)per_passionem_eius Wrote:
(12-01-2012, 11:44 AM)MRose Wrote: I would think there ought to be a distinction between i) things which you know about but do not see or hear about first person; 2) things discussed in your presence; and 3) things which directly involve and/or affect you.

Would you please elaborate?  All I'm able to understand of this is that in the 3rd instance I have more of a duty to admonish than in the 2nd or 1st.  Would you give me an example for the 1st and 2nd please?
I will give it a go:

1. So and so who you know/are related to, are not married and not living together but are in a dating relationship, you have heard from a reliable source (without going out of your way to learn this), fornicate and have no problem with that. They profess to be Catholic.

2. You are at the dinner table and some of the people begin discussing an immoral film, book, etc. Say it is 50 Shades of Grey. You choose to not take part in the discussion.

3. You are with family members and they want to watch a movie after a family dinner and it is an immoral movie.

I hope those work, I am working off the top of my head.
I've got no sources to cite.

Keeping in mind what others have said about making sure it is legitimate admonishment, age should not be a factor at all.  If someone is doing something wrong and the situation calls for admonishment, it shouldn't matter if they're ten or a hundred.  Even more so with older people, as they set an example for others.  The young do not have a monopoly on sin.  Many adults act like children and have the same priorities.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.