Transubstantiation in modern science: How can substance change without accidents
(12-06-2012, 05:44 PM)jim111 Wrote: It is my understanding that the metaphysical change of transubstantiation is not just the addition of something metaphysical, but the change from its old metaphysical state to a new one. Do all things of matter have physical and metaphysical parts.
It was my understanding that only when the soul entered a body, that there was a metaphysical interaction between the physical and spiritual world.

This all depends upon definitions. If metaphysics includes everything that is not in science (physics) then it includes discussion of substance. That doesn't mean metaphysics is limited to spirit. Physical things have substance and accidents. But the scientIfic approach ignores substance.

A human body has accidents and substance but the substance is in a sense incomplete unless joined to a soul.

Is perhaps your difficulty coming from seeing metaphysics as only related to the spiritual?

I'm not sure if this is helping? Transubstantiation is a real metaphysical change, but not a physical one. You will never prove it by physical methods (excepting the miraculous cases like Lanciano).

Messages In This Thread
Re: Transubstantiation in modern science: How can substance change without accidents - by newyorkcatholic - 12-06-2012, 07:19 PM