Transubstantiation in modern science: How can substance change without accidents
Please read my example again.  You are - in my opinion - utterly misunderstanding the concept of "substance".  The bottom line is this: what is a thing, reallY?  Am I a male homosapien?  Or am I a father and husband?  The unconsecrated host is simply the sum of its parts: it is bread, really.  After consecration, because of the experience it went through (which is now a real part of "its" history) it is now something completely different. 

Other examples:

Woman ==> Gives Birth ==> Mother  [Same thing "accidents" wise, though - XX chromosomes, flesh, two lungs, hemoglobin, carbon-based life - and yet, now totally different]

Virgin ==> Sex ==> Not a Virgin  [can never be a virgin again, changed in reality, yet the same person in appearance]

An experience can change what a thing really is, such that it becomes something completely new and different, and can never go back to what it was. 

Jettison all that learning you have and become like a child again.  To quote Ronald Reagan, "It isn't that they [Dems] are ignorant...it's just that they know so much that isn't so."

Messages In This Thread
Re: Transubstantiation in modern science: How can substance change without accidents - by Allan - 12-07-2012, 04:49 PM