Transubstantiation in modern science: How can substance change without accidents
(12-07-2012, 06:31 PM)jim111 Wrote:
(12-07-2012, 05:41 PM)Pilgrim Wrote: (hence my question about the website analogy).
I think substance might by what something is defined as.
Lets say in Gods code of the universe it looks like this

flesh= (whatever flesh is)
flesh accidents= (what it normally is)
if bread is consecrated then bread=flesh
If flesh has been consecrated then accidents=bread

This would mean that the bread is no indeed flesh. Which is basically what Allen said.
The problem I see with this, it that all I did is change the name of bread to flesh. I did not not in anyway alter the existence of the bread, so that it is replaced with the existence of flesh.

I think that substance is what a thing is (its essence) but as it exists in a particular thing.  Substance is what underlies a thing.   A substance only has its accidents.   When we say "this bread is white, this bread is soft", THIS BREAD is something very real, APART from its accidents that we list (or don't list).  Otherwise, how could we speak this way? Maybe it can only be understood intellectually in an abstract way, but it is real.

The change is not only in the name of the bread to flesh.  "This bread" becomes "this Flesh", but the accidents don't change.  The bread no longer exists, rather Christ's Flesh now exists, although with the same accidents.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Transubstantiation in modern science: How can substance change without accidents - by Doce Me - 12-07-2012, 07:03 PM