Transubstantiation in modern science: How can substance change without accidents
(12-08-2012, 12:30 PM)Allan Wrote:
(12-08-2012, 12:18 PM)Walty Wrote:
(12-07-2012, 10:50 PM)Allan Wrote: Think logically:

Jesus was God.
God can do anything.  ANYTHING.

Not to be too nit-picky, but there are things God cannot do.  He cannot change.  He cannot create a 4-sided triangle.  He cannot sin.

I'm sure you agree, but I just wanted to point this out for others reading the thread.

Well...I think it is safe to say God does not do those things, but cannot is a bridge too far.  I may not be able to conceive of a four sided triangle, but maybe He can. Maybe my own understanding of what a triangle is, is incomplete or flawed somehow, or I understand it as best as I am meant to.  And so on.

A four-sided triangle is a logical impossibility and thus is an impossibility.  It's an absurdity which would actually take more away from God than it would add, in much the same way that sin would.  This is the same response we give to the "Can God create a stone so heavy he cannot lift it" question.  It's meaningless, an absurdity.  It's like asking if God is powerful enough to both exist and not exist at the same time.

It's not simply that we cannot comprehend the answer.  We can.  God cannot contradict His own nature, and thus the nature of truth (which begets mutual exclusivity).

Messages In This Thread
Re: Transubstantiation in modern science: How can substance change without accidents - by Walty - 12-08-2012, 01:19 PM