Transubstantiation in modern science: How can substance change without accidents
(12-13-2012, 11:01 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(12-09-2012, 01:53 AM)Doce Me Wrote: It is also hard to see how drinking Christ's blood and eating His flesh would be simply a metaphysical reality.  Body and blood seem physical, even if their accidents aren't there.

Yes; this and the rest of your post are correct. The idea that transubstantiation does not pertain to physical realities, but, by transcending the natural order, pertains only to metaphysics, such that it is bread and wine in the natural order but Christ's Body and Blood in the supernatural order, is a derivative of consubstantiation repackaged by the Modernists of today.

Transubstantion is physical insofar as the very nature of the real, physical substance is changed. What remains the same is only the perceptible aspects (accidents) of that substance.

But isn't there a difference between what you argue against (saying that what is on the altar is bread and wine in the natural order but Christ's Body and Blood in the supernatural order) and what I am saying (Christ is on the altar, in reality, whether considered in the natural order or the supernatural order, but not "physically" so if by physically we mean in terms of what can be observed or analyzed through instrumentation - which is what scientists, who speak materialistically even when they may not be philosophical materialists, mean by the word "physically")?

That's what I'm saying.

So to connect that to the original question -- there is no conflict between Transubstantiation and modern atomic/molecular theory.  All of these theories are based upon scientific experimentation (and logic and mathematics) and are theories that predict or try to understand accidents.

I trust you know more about Catholic teaching than I do; you are definitely more well read than I in this. Just a fact. So is what I am saying alright?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Transubstantiation in modern science: How can substance change without accidents - by newyorkcatholic - 12-14-2012, 10:57 AM