Transubstantiation in modern science: How can substance change without accidents
Yes, Doce Me, you are correct. I became sloppy toward the end of my post. I meant to say "material sustance," not "substance" in general. There is material and immaterial substance, but I was speaking of purely material substance in this context.

Material substance is physical while immaterial substance is, for example, spriritual. That is the distinction to which the word "physical" speaks: it distinguishes itself from the spiritual by grounding itself in the material. I don't think the word "physical" speaks to any specific measurable qualities of that material substance. That is why we have such concepts as "measurable," "perceptible," "empirical," "tangible," "visible," "audible," etc.

This is why I believe it is entirely correct to say that Christ's Body and Blood are physically present on the altar. The way in which this physical reality manifests itself accidentally, however, deceives the perception of our senses.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Transubstantiation in modern science: How can substance change without accidents - by INPEFESS - 12-15-2012, 05:55 PM