Transubstantiation in modern science: How can substance change without accidents
(12-15-2012, 08:02 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(12-15-2012, 07:13 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: Thank you INPEFESS. From now I will be clearer and more careful with the use of the word "physical."  When I mean "tangible," that's what I'll say.

I hope you don't think that I was accusing you of inaccuracy or carelessness; far from it. All that I meant to argue was that the word "physical" does not necessarily pertain to accidental properties by which substantial matter manifests itself to our senses. Scientists may use the term this way, but the word itself does no merit that connotation. I believe that it the word only implies the distinction between that which is material and that which is immaterial. We have other ways of describing the accidental properties of material substance.

So, I think it is entirely appropriate to say that Christ is physically present on the altar; in fact, I think it would be dangerous to deny it. What we must proclaim is that only the measurable accidental properties remain, nothing more; what we must deny is that transubstantiation pertains simply to an immaterial, though substantial, transformation. That would be dangerously close to the various Protestant notions of the Real Presence, such as the notion that the Real Presence represents simply Christ's spiritual presence--that is, the immaterial substance of His spirit--in the Eucharist. This is condemned as a heresy by the Church. The physical nature itself has been transubstantiated leaving only the manifest accidental properties of the former substance intact. Mysterious, indeed, but not contracted by modern science or by the Church's perennial philosophy.

I didn't think you were accusing me of inaccuracy. I do think I better see the distinction is between physical and spiritual, and so Christ not just can be said to be but should be said to be physically present on the altar.

On my phone so it's hard to write more, perhaps I will later

Messages In This Thread
Re: Transubstantiation in modern science: How can substance change without accidents - by newyorkcatholic - 12-16-2012, 12:16 AM